WHS Sophomore Noah Jaeger Bruehl Hopeful for Tennis Team Season

unnamed

By Alex Badger & Keegan Kerr

Fresh off a state championship,  sophomore Noah Jaeger Bruehl along with his teammates are looking for a repeat following their incredible state championship run in 2016. They finished the season 22-1 capped off by a state championship victory. Westborough outlasted rival Lexington by a score of 3-2 last spring.

Jager Bruehl has been interested in tennis for years, saying that his intrigue in the sport began while playing tennis with his dad. He says he enjoys the change in pace from his other sport of soccer, since tennis is an individual sport. Although the sport only has one player on the court at the time, he shares that it is truly a team sport: “Last year, we were a really close team, everyone was very inviting, and I think that was one of the reasons we did so well.”

Jaeger Bruehl feels that his experience as a freshman could help him in a variety of ways in future years.  “I now know  the process and how matches go…it was good and helpful experience for me” Jaeger Bruehl commented.  He expects to use these experiences to help him as he steps into an expanded role this year following the departure of three seniors out of the starting seven. Despite a shuffled roster, he feels that the leadership of the upperclassmen is huge for their team. When asked about senior Sumukh Pathi, he says that “we learn a lot from him, he’s very encouraging… he’s just a good guy to look up to on the court.”

Despite their incredible season last year, this season will not come without adversity for the team. Their coach last year, Steve Ferris, has left, and is being replaced by Coach O’Neil. Jaeger Bruehl seems very excited to work with a new coach, and says that Coach O’Neill will “bring new stuff to the table that will help us in our hopes to repeat.”

Jager Bruehl has had a jam-packed off-season in which he feels he has improved many aspects of his game. He’s hoping all the hard work this offseason will help him step into an expanded role on the team this upcoming season. When asked about the potential for a repeat from the Rangers, he responded immediately by saying “Why not?”