Protesting the National Anthem: Advocating for Change

Hilbert, Evan

oppongBy Kofi Dadzie and Mohammed Ramzanali
The recent rise in the publications of police brutality and systemic oppression of people of color have dominated the media coverage. Most notably in the world of athletics, Colin Kaepernick, quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, has been taking a knee during the National Anthem in silent protest. Currently 18 other professional athletes in a variety of other sports are conducting similar protests.

Recently, a local football player junior Mike Oppong of Doherty High School in Worcester,  MA  took a knee on the evening of September 9, during the National Anthem of his season opener.  Oppong chose to take the knee in support and solidarity with Kaepernick’s protest.  However, he initially was suspended for one game. The suspension has since been overturned. The school realized it had no grounds or right to suspend Oppong because he is protected by the First Amendment.

Police brutality is an issue that is primarily targeting people of color; so standing in solidarity with an athlete who is making the issue public is tremendously admirable. The issue of race remains and a country whose full National Anthem is questionable in our opinion. In the third verse of the original verse of “The Star Spangled Banner” by Francis Scott Key, Scott Key writes “No refuge could save the hireling and slave from the terror of flight and the gloom of the grave.”  This line is in direct reference to the defeat and killing of African slaves.

As a people of color, the mainstreaming of the coverage of police brutality and the systemic oppression of people of color in America weighs heavily on our minds at all times. It is important to voice out and advocate for changes to be made. A silent protest, which is actively growing both in the youth and adult athletic communities, gives us assurance that there are people out there, in the same mindset as ourselves , advocating for change. Frankly, we hope the nation will move in a direction that makes people like Colin Kaepernick and Mike Oppong want to stand for the national anthem again.

1 Comment

One Response to “Protesting the National Anthem: Advocating for Change”

1. Avani Bonthu on February 3rd, 2017 6:41 pm

I think that suspension for kneeling during the national anthem is excessive and unnecessary; the issue of police brutality is very significant in today’s society and recognizing it and advocating change would certainly make a difference.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• News

Scare on Wall Street for the United States in October

• Protesting the National Anthem: Advocating for Change

News

Get Fired Up to Cool The Earth Down!

Features

Class of 2017 has strongest showing yet in National Merit Scholarship Contest

Headline News

Ranger Tech Squad to the Rescue

Headline News

Congressman Jim McGovern Talks to WHS Seniors

Club Post

Compete for a Cure Comes to WHS

Club Post

Global and Community Aid

Headline News

Rec Ball Week 1 Wrap Up

• News

WHS Rec-Ball Season Preview

Features

In Your Shoes Supports WHS Students