Consort Strikes a Chord at WHS

Consort

By Kara DiOrio and Quinton Wong

It seems that in the past few years the popularity of a cappella music has grown exponentially. With television shows like “Glee” and movies like “Pitch Perfect,”more awareness of the genre has been spread and people are beginning to realize how impressive the music can be.

At Westborough High School, a cappella music has been a part of the fine arts department for decades. However, in recent years, with the a cappella boom in full swing, the number of groups at WHS and the number of kids auditioning for these groups has been increasing.

“Consort” is a five person a cappella group comprised of all seniors. Benny Hensley, Chris LaMountain and Julia Marcus started the group in 2014 and inducted Hailey Erb and Sarah Bock as their alto singers. They set themselves apart from other a cappella groups at WHS with their focus on classical and jazz music. The fact that they do not sing many “pop” songs makes them unique among Westborough ensembles.

The student-led group is happy that their music is so well received by both the school and community and have each gained a lot through their membership.

“Being in the group has definitely raised my game as a musician…you really have to pull your own weight,” notes Bock.

Marcus reflects on how being in such a small group allows her to recognize the intricacies within musical ensembles. “It makes me more aware of other [voice] parts,” she says.

As far as what the future holds for these five young musicians, all wish to continue their involvement with musical ensembles and a cappella music in college. “I know music and singing is what I want to do going forward in my life… this group has been a great way to experience new types of music…it’s been a really great way to expose myself to things that I wouldn’t sing in school,” Hensley remarks.

For these five and their devoted fans, a cappella seems to be less of a trend, and more of a lifelong passion.