Seniors Last Day!
Congratulations!

Boys’ Hockey Season Wrap Up

Written By: Scott Erickson

The Westborough Rangers Boys’ Hockey team finished out their season last Wednesday in a thrashing of Marian High School.  The boys beat the Mustangs 8-3 at the Northstar Youth Forum.  Juniors, Brian Bernard, Rob MacElhaney, and Scott Erickson, as well as sophomore defensemen, Sam Kruse, provided all of the scoring for the Rangers in this non-league match up.

The Rangers finished their year a very disappointing 4-14-2, as they were expected to compete for the District championship in the beginning of the season.  Injuries plagued the Rangers, as two top six forwards were lost before the season even got underway. Senior Ryan Baxendale tore his ACL in the last play of the Thanksgiving Day football game and junior Michael Lloyd was also lost for the season with concussion problems sustainted during his sophomore year.  Lloyd is expected to make a recovery, and play for the Rangers in his senior season.

The Rangers will lose both goalies next year, Tony Cibelli and John Stanton, however sophomore goaltender Jared Ward will hopefully be able to step in the full time starter role for the Rangers next year.  The Rangers will also lose two key defensemen, Greg Alves and Mark McCauley.  Jackson Venditti, Jed Stone, and Gavin Wilsker, will be expected to fill their shoes at defense for the Rangers.  Brandon King and Conor Doyle will both be graduating this spring, leaving the Rangers a very strong group of forwards to lead them into next season.

The Rangers will be strong up front for offense, but their main concerns will be defense and goaltending next season.  They will be forced to be strong, as Shrewsbury is returning Dave Belbin and the Quinlivan twins, and Wachusett is returning Marc Happy, who are all among the top players in all of Massachusetts.