Eat when you feel the need

by Brittany Rosenthal

It’s fourth period of the school day, and I still have a whole class to attend until lunch. My stomach growls and all that is on my mind is the time passing until I can fill my empty stomach with food. I have a granola bar ready for me in my backpack, but I can’t take it out because my teacher doesn’t allow eating in her class.

Studies show that people who eat throughout the day function better than those who do not. That’s why I think that students should be allowed to eat during classes. It’s hard to focus on class content when you have hunger pains and therefore, are in need of something to eat. It is unfair for students to have to wait until break or lunch to eat.

I have even seen teachers who do not allow students to eat in their classes eat their own food while they are teaching lessons. How fair does that sound?

All students should be allowed to eat food during class. Some students aren’t hungry for breakfast at 6 am, so they either skip it entirely or force food it into their mouths. If students could eat during class, they could wait for a more reasonable time to eat.

Students would be able to focus more in class and have energy throughout the day. Permitting students to eat during class would be much more tolerable for the students, and it isn’t too much of a big rule to change. When you gotta eat, you gotta eat.