WHS Needs A Study Hall Option

pixabay.com

WHS students need a study hall option. Study hall provides students with a structure and scheduled time to focus on academic work while allowing them to ask for help and support. For some students, study hall can be the most productive period. This opportunity can help improve grades and academic performance for many students.

It is also beneficial for students who struggle with mental health, especially anxiety. Students will feel good and not as stressed about work. They are calmer and worry less about homework and assignments when they know they have a period to get some or all of it done.

Junior Shannon Clark says, “I think because Westborough is such a great town for academics, students put a ton of pressure on themselves to take multiple high-level classes. Between these and extracurriculars, students often sacrifice sleep and personal time to complete their responsibilities, so I think adding a study period would be very beneficial to all students.”

I think because Westborough is such a great town for academics, students put a ton of pressure on themselves to take multiple high-level classes. Between these and extracurriculars, students often sacrifice sleep and personal time to complete their responsibilities, so I think adding a study period would be very beneficial to all students.

— Junior Shannon Clark

.”

Many students here at WHS are very involved in sports, activities, and clubs after school. These activities take up most of the afternoon and leave students with not enough time to finish all of their homework. If they could get some of their studying and homework done before the school day ends they wouldn’t be turning their assignments in at 11:59 p.m.

The average amount of homework students can have can be from 1-3 hours. During study hall, they could get help, ask friends, and study together. The amount of homework they will have at home will decrease and allow them to spend their night doing things besides homework. Ultimately they will be more productive and have time to focus on other things after school.

Senior Ben Grossman says, “Study hall can help students better prepare for upcoming exams or complete a missing assignment in their hardest class. Study hall is needed at WHS.”

Study hall is also a great time to get help from teachers or academic helpers. Having people around you who you can ask questions and get clarification from is much easier than trying to do it by yourself at home. The teachers and helpers can give advice, help you study, or lead you to success in an academic way. They could provide help with every subject and students’ work would likely improve. They can also help you better understand the topic you are working on.

Study hall will also be beneficial for teachers. They won’t need to meet with kids after school as often and it can also be a period for them to get grading and other work done. If students can work with their teacher during study hall it will reduce the need for meeting after school and makes it easier for everyone.

Many students here have said they wanted or felt a study hall would be helpful. When asked, 34/36 (94%) of students at WHS said they want a study hall option. Many other students have stated how important they think it is and how it will be helpful for all students and teachers.

English teacher Ms. Smith says, “I just feel like a study period would add a lot of flexibility. Students would have options–to sit and breathe, to focus on work, to go see their guidance counselor or check in with a teacher or whatever they need.”

Sources:
https://www.reference.com/world-view/benefits-having-study-hall-e7d051887106f2c1

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Making-the-most-of-study-hall-377759.php

https://www.ipl.org/essay/Study-Hall-Research-Paper-PJSC9ZY3GU