Field Hockey Using Balanced Attack in Upcoming Season

By Jeff Arnold

The Rangers Field Hockey team will rely on a combination of youth and experience to make another strong run at a district title. AFter graduating stars Michala Parent and Samantha Weckweth among ten total starting seniors, the team will now be led by a mixture of young and old talent including senior team captains Sarah Bracey and Darci Rota, junior Olivia Weckwerth, junior Peyton Brown.

Last season was one of ups and downs which included five regular season losses and an early postseason exit at the hands of rival Algonquin. This season the squad will hope to make a deeper postseason run with their depth and leadership of Coach Colleen Debish.

This will be Coach Debish’ 28th year as the head coach of the field hockey team, making her one of the most accomplished coaches in Central Mass interscholastic sports history.  This experience will come in handy as she will have to navigate a tough schedule with some young players having to step up into bigger roles.

“We have a great group of girls this season,” says junior Emma Grossman. “Obviously losing [Samantha Weckwerth] and Michala [Parent] was a big blow but everybody on the team this year knows their place and knows what it will take to win and be successful again.”

The team will open with a home game against Leominster this afternoon at 4:00 pm. Good luck to the team this season.