Benefits of Crossfit

Benefits of Crossfit

By: Mary Beth Ashton

It seems as though CrossFit has been bombed with numerous criticisms for its harsh workout regiment, or its high injury rates.  Many people would much prefer to go to their own gym and workout on their own time.  However, CrossFit provides many benefits that are not available at a normal gym.  At a normal gym you are able to say to yourself, “my legs are tired so I’ll just skip leg day today.”  But at CrossFit, they mix various different exercises together in one day, and so it is impossible for you to skip working one muscle group.

CrossFit was started by Greg Glassman, a personal trainer who started out training police officers.  The competition and rigorous workouts got them in prime shape for their job. .

Few cases have been reported of avid CrossFitters developing Rhabdomyolysis, which is a breakdown of muscle cells which in turn can cause kidney failure.  This is a very severe disease and doesn’t occur to the majority of people who are just working out.  Rhabdomyolysis occurs when working out at a very high intensity, and high intensity workout can cause you to develop it, but it is extremely unlikely.  Many criticised Glassman for his unsympathetic view of people developing rhabdo, he understands that all workouts will have risks and won’t feel bad for very few people developing injuries.  Most CrossFit injuries are due to people not listening to the coach and using bad form when lifting.  However, the coaches do a great job of watching for problems and correcting them before they become an issue.  Injuries are common in anything you do. Personally I began sustaining fewer injuries in sports after starting CrossFit because I was stronger and therefore less injury prone.

CrossFit’s varied workouts are created to prepare people for the unknown and to help them build muscles that will help them in real life.  “Functional strength” is a common saying at CrossFit and it is very true.  You build muscles you may not have known to work before but that are very helpful in sports or everyday activities.

The atmosphere of CrossFit is also a large benefit over other gyms.  Although some say the competitive atmosphere and people’s drive to get the best time is what pushes people past what they are used to and causes injuries, I disagree.  In personal experiences, the atmosphere pushes you, but you know in the end you are competing against yourself and no one else’s times matter.  You get assistance at CrossFit that you would not get at a standard gym and I have also made some of my closest friends at CrossFit.

The benefits of CrossFit definitely outweigh the cons.  Although CrossFit is more expensive than other gyms, the price is definitely worth the advantages you receive.