Seniors Last Day!
Congratulations!

The Lip Challenge…is it really worth it?

The Lip Challenge...is it really worth it?

By: Sabrina Goebel

Many girls have always envied the Kardashian family, especially Kendall and Kylie Jenner since they are closer in age to the teen generation than the rest of the sisters. However, young adult and teen girls have taken their envy to a whole new level with the appalling “Lip Challenge.”

Although the lip challenge is only supposed to be temporary, it’s sad that many girls and women feel the need to alter their physical features to resemble what Hollywood thinks a beautiful women should look like.

In the lip challenge, you put a glass around your lips, suck in for a couple minutes to create friction, which then increases blood flow to the lips. This process causes the lips to become very plump for a short amount of time. The only reason people seem to do this is to resemble the lips of 17 year old Kylie Jenner.

What many don’t realize is the damage that can be caused from this simple challenge. It can causes pain, swelling, bruising, and potential disfigurement if people try it more than once.

However many are reluctant to acknowledge this warning and still continue to try it, which I think is shocking. In our world today, people get so wrapped up in what Hollywood thinks you need in order to be beautiful, that they are willing to risk hurting themselves to create that look.

It’s understandable that people might want to be like the stars that they see on television and in pictures, but taking it to this extreme seems wrong. There are many other ways women can have “plumper” lips if that’s what they desire, and it doesn’t have to involve them physically changing their features and risking the chance of permanent damage.