Ms. Moreno: A Passionate and Adventurous Teacher

By: Mashal Unar and Shivani Verma

This year, we have new face at the school, Spanish teacher Ms. Moreno. What people don’t know about her is that she is not only a passionate Spanish teacher, but also an adventurous and devoted person. As a little girl, she often visited the United States from Spain to spend time with family and soon fell in love with the country.

Years later, after spending twelve years in college studying business, she found interest in helping children. This affection started to build up after her experience in Sierra Leone, West Africa. There, along with her husband, Ms. Moreno made a documentary on the human condition. She was then given the opportunity to teach. She taught blind children English for eight months, which really sparked her interest to become a teacher. During her experience, she realized that the feeling of helping children was something she never wanted to forget. She always wanted to do something with business, but also connect it with helping children. Thus, she thought teaching would be the right career for her.

To fulfill her desire, she returned to school and completed a program similar to a PhD in education. After three years of teaching kids of all ages, she came to the US. She has been living here for ten years. Ms. Moreno was eventually offered a position at the high school this year and has loved every part of it. She says that her students and colleagues are all very respectful and nice. But teaching is not the only thing Ms. Moreno does. In her free time, she enjoys working out and loves going to the gym. Frequently, she goes to the city with her friends. Though she is more of a city-girl, Ms. Moreno has grown fond of Westborough and says she plans to stay much longer in the future.