New English Electives Offered in 2015

New English Electives Offered in 2015

Listed below are four new electives offered by the English Department for next fall.

Reflective Writing: Personal Stories, Personal Essays

Open to Grades 9-12

EN 133 (level 3)

EN 143 (level 4)

Do you want to write about your life? Do you want to express your opinion about a topic? Are you curious about how people’s life experiences influence their views? These questions lie at the heart of personal stories (or memoirs) and personal essays. In this reflective writing course, we will read and write stories and essays that focus on real-life personal experience. Topics include: using narration, description, and reflection; developing your unique voice; using figurative language; and finding the extraordinary in the ordinary.

Empower Your Writing

Open to Grades 9-11

EN 134 (level 3)

EN 144 (level 4)

Learn to write beyond the five-paragraph essay. Find your voice and write with a purpose meaningful to you. This portfolio-based course will provide you the opportunity to practice writing multiple genres including persuasive and narrative pieces that address your connection to the world outside of the high school classroom.

Logical Reasoning

Open to Grades 10-12

AD230

This is a semester course for grades 10, 11 & 12. The first part of the course covers basics of introductory symbolic logic and the second part on practical applications of Propositional, Predicate, and Fuzzy Logic. This course is designed to be a large group so students must be self-motivated and focused. Level four students will be required to do extra work.

Gender Studies

Open to Grades 9-12

AD 130

An introductory course to gender studies which will examine how cultures represent gender difference with a focus on the history of gender in American culture as well as gender in contemporary American culture. Topics of study will include social construction of gender including the workplace and family as well as influence on dress, appearance, and behavior. The media’s portrayal of gender and gender stereotypes will be of particular interest. Additional topics of study will include the role of gender in sexuality, religion, power structures, and the intersection of gender, race, class, and ethnicity. Level four students will be required to complete- additional readings and assignments.