Rangers Basketball gets First Win of the Season

By: Carly Flahive

The Westborough girls’ varsity basketball team won their first game last night, away against Shrewsbury, in a close 36-39 game, making them 1-1 on their schedule. After a rough start to their season last week against Wachusett, they were able to put up more shots and be more of an offensive threat in last night’s game.

“With a young team, being able to get a win against a tough rival like Shrewsbury was a huge accomplishment for us,” comments junior co-captain Kaylie Doherty. “We knew we would have an age disadvantage from the beginning of the season, and knew that Shrewsbury was going to be one of the tougher teams we would go up against. To get the results we got definitely gave us more confidence for how the rest of the season will go,” adds Doherty.

Freshman Melissa Mitrovich was a huge contributor for the Rangers, putting up a season high of 16 points. With the whole season ahead of her, she will continue to develop and show even greater improvement.

With about 3 minutes left in the game, the Rangers lost junior co-captain, Julie Hutchinson, and not long after, Doherty was out of the game as well, both having fouled out.

Sophomore Allie Slocum was able to step up and be aggressive offensively. Although not all of her shots were falling, she was able to make it to the line and get the offence going. “It was nice to see that the younger players were able to step up and keep the competitiveness of the game going and help contribute when they were on the court,” remarks Doherty.

With more improvement still to come, the Rangers hope to keep up their record as they take on Nashoba home at 7pm this Friday.