Red Sox Offseason Preview

Courtesy: AJL Magazine
Courtesy: AJL Magazine

By Hannah Eastwood

Courtesy: AJL Magazine

The 2014 MLB season may be over, but the real action is just beginning.  When game 7 of the World Series wrapped up on October 30, free agency officially began.  After a disappointing 2014 season, the Boston Red Sox have a lot of work to do if they want to be World Series contenders in 2015.  Who will stay and who will go?  Let’s break it down position by position:

Starting Pitching

The 2014 Red Sox went through a complete transformation at the trade deadline in late July.  Among the players to go were Jake Peavy, Jon Lester, and John Lackey.  Because of this, the starting rotation lacked leadership and stability for much of the season. The only pitcher the Sox received in return was Joe Kelly from the St. Louis Cardinals, who turned out to be a pleasant surprise for the depleted rotation.  Clay Buchholz and Kelly are the only players assured a spot in the 2015 rotation.  The Sox are looking to fill the top two spots through either free agency or a trade.  There are many options, free agent and trade targets, that the Sox could go after this offseason.

1. Jon Lester

At the top of the list is Jon Lester who was traded to the Oakland Athletics at the trade deadline in late July.  Lester, a lefty, will be a free agent this year.  He posted a 2.52 ERA with the Red Sox the first half of the 2014 season and a 2.35 ERA the second half of the season with the A’s.  Lester, who spent nine seasons with the Sox, was a fan favorite in Boston.  Lester’s value has only gone up and he won’t be cheap.  The Red Sox have the resources to sign him, it’s a matter of whether or not they think the 30 year old Lester is worth the money.

1. James Shields

The righty, who turns 33 years old in December, would be the perfect candidate to provide the Red Sox with stability at the top of their rotation.  Shields posted a 27-17 record and 3.18 ERA over the last two seasons with the Kansas City Royals.  The only thing in question would be how long the Sox would be willing to sign him for considering he is over 30.  The Sox have shown particular reluctance to sign players over the age of 30 to lengthy contracts.

1. Cole Hamels

This star left-hander could be the perfect fit for the Red Sox.  Hamels would be very attractive to the Sox because they wouldn’t have to make as big of a commitment to him in terms of money and years as they would Jon Lester on the open market in free agency.  Hamels had a 2.46 ERA this past season in Philadelphia.  The Phillies could be interested in trading Hamels for a package that could help their rebuilding process.  The Sox would only have to commit to Hamels for four years which is ideal considering he is 30 years old.

Catcher

The Red Sox are in a tricky situation when it comes to catching.  After parting ways with A.J. Pierzynski, a disappointment on both sides of the plate, the Sox were forced to call up prospect, Christian Vazquez earlier than expected.  The Red Sox are faced with the problem of having too much talent.  Blake Swihart, the Sox top prospect, is also a catcher.  It is looking more and more likely that the Red Sox will use Swihart in a trade for an elite pitcher or position player.  David Ross, the Sox backup pitcher, who is 37 years old began to show signs of wear and tear as his production began to drop off.

1. John Jaso

The 31 year-old lefty could be exactly what the Red Sox need in a back up catcher.  The Sox lack left handed batters; in fact, there is only one lefty who is assured a spot in the 2015 lineup: David Ortiz.  Jaso would have to be acquired through a trade, which looks very probable considering his current team, the Oakland A’s, are looking to shake things up.  Jaso would provide the Red Sox with the good, solid back up catcher they are looking for.

1. Gerald Laird

Laird, who is 34 years old, has the ability to bring experience and leadership to the backup role.  The righty has a career .244 batting average, although Laird is known primarily for his top-notch defense.

First Base

This is one position where the Red Sox won’t be looking to make any changes.  Mike Napoli has one year left in his $16 million contract.  Napoli won’t require surgery for any of his ailments and should be ready to go for spring training.  Napoli is a key presence in the Sox dugout, in addition to the power he still brings to the table.  Despite his injuries, Napoli still displayed above-average defense.  The biggest surprise at first base this season was Brock Holt.  Who knew the utility man would be capable of playing first base, just one of seven positions he played all season.

Second Base

Second Base is another position where you won’t see any change.  Dustin Pedroia, 31 years old, is signed through 2021 and owed around $97 million.  The one question is how healthy will Pedroia be?  He has undergone hand surgery twice in the last two years.  In addition, Pedroia injured his wrist in the home opener this past season.  Despite the injuries, Pedroia had a .278 batting average and slugged .376.  Pedroia is one player who you can expect to stick around for a while.

Third Base

Will Middlebrooks’ time with the Red Sox might have reached its end.  The 26 year old should be entering the prime of his career but instead he has only experienced one physical setback after another.  Even when healthy the righty has failed to play consistently.  The Sox ranked last in the majors in batting average at third base.  Garin Cecchini, a Red Sox prospect at third base, isn’t ready to assume the role as an everyday starter in the big leagues.  Third base appears to be the position where the Red Sox are most likely to seek an external solution.  This would also provide the Red Sox with a chance to add a left handed bat to their lopsided lineup.  Luckily for the Sox, they have a couple options.

1. Pablo Sandoval

This switch hitting 28 year old is coming fresh off a 2014 World Series victory with the San Francisco Giants.  The free agent has a .850 OPS against right handed pitchers; as well as a .294 batting average over the last seven years with the Giants.  However, Sandoval isn’t cheap.  Adding a left handed bat with the ability to play third and first base may be worth the price for the Red Sox.

1. Josh Donaldson

Donaldson would be an interesting trade target for the Red Sox.  The 28 year old hit a career high 29 home runs in 2014.  Donaldson has a high value but may just be available, as Billy Beane is looking to trade him.  The Sox would have to trade a hefty package but it might be worth in order to claim this young talent in the prime of his career.

Shortstop

Despite Xander Bogaerts’ struggles at the plate, The Red Sox are not looking for an upgrade this offseason.  Going into June of 2014 Bogaerts was batting .304 with a .397 OBP that ranked fourth in the American League.  In a 67 game span from June to August Bogaerts posted a .161 batting average.  The 22 year old’s batting average and slugging percentage were the lowest of any big leaguer with at least 125 at-bats in that span.  Not only that, but Bogaerts was just plain awful with runners in scoring position (19-for-124, .153) and just as bad with men on base (43-for-223, .193).  Bogaerts is anything but a finished product at short and the righty has shown enough promise for the Red Sox to remain confident he will evolve into the impact player they know he can be.

Outfield

Despite the less then stable outfield this season the Red Sox won’t be looking to make any changes at this position.  The outfield John Farrell envisioned he’d have to open the season – Grady Sizemore in center, flanked by Daniel Nava and Jonny Gomes in left and Shane Victorino in right – played exactly one game together, and that didn’t come until late May.  Farrell used nine left fielders, five center fielders and 10 right fielders.  Looking ahead to 2015 the Sox have multiple different directions they could choose to go in.  There is Shane Victorino who vows to be healthy for the 2015 season or Cespedes, a power hitter who has one year left on his contract or Jackie Bradley Jr. who displayed above average defensive ability, yet inconsistent at the plate or Mookie Betts, a promising rookie or Rusney Castillo, who showed tremendous ability.  The possibilities go on.  One thing is for certain: Ben Cherington will not go into the 2015 season with an outfield that combined to hit 26 home runs, the fewest in the majors, and spent the season at the bottom of most of the other key offensive categories as well. But how he gets there should be captivating to watch.

Bullpen

The Red Sox have already resigned closer, Koji Uehara to a two year deal worth $18 million.  The Red Sox have a lot to consider this offseason when structuring their bullpen.  In 2014 the Sox bullpen posted a 21-27 record and a 3.33 ERA (6th in the AL).

1. Andrew Miller

The 29 year old left handed pitcher was traded to the Baltimore Orioles at the trade deadline.  Resigning Miller could cost the Sox anywhere from $8 million to $10 million a year for around three years.  The Sox can also expect some competition for Miller, one of the most impressive relievers in the game.

1. Burke Badenhop

Badenhop proved to be a double play throwing machine this season.  The 31 year old had a good year but still isn’t a real impact guy.  Anything over $2 million would be overpaying.

This offseason is bound to be an exciting one.  Very few players on the Boston Red Sox current roster have security going into the 2015 season.  As for the rest, only time will tell.  As the Red Sox front office prepares for the busy months ahead, we fans get to sit back, relax, and enjoy some exciting offseason baseball.