Should Illegal Immigrant Be Deported and Leave Their Children Behind?

by:  Anjali Arigela

The Fourteenth Amendment states, “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.” Knowing this amendment, many immigrants are expecting to cross the border without proper documents. These illegal immigrants think they can stay along with their children when they actually have a high risk of being separated from them, so why do it?

Illegal immigrants think that they can sneak into the United States, have a baby and then have the right to stay, however, this right is one that can be taken away. Because of these illegal immigrant parents, on average, 17 children are put into state care everyday because of the deportation of the parents. Parents, who do not get deported, think about it every single day, affecting their relationship with their children and the community. The children are also caught up in the worry that their parents will be taken away, which might affect their learning and social life.

In 2012, the Obama Administration allowed for illegal immigrants without criminal records to have more leinancy  to remain in the United States than illegal immigrants with criminal records. This admittance has and will encourage the illegal immigrants to come to the United States even more, without proper documents and visas going against the Diversity Visa Program.

An estimated 340, 000 babies born in the United States in 2008 were children of unauthorized immigrants. Many of these babies are living in foster care homes wondering what happened to their real mom and dad. Later on, when the child turns 18, the child’s real parents might be able to come back to the United States to be with their child, but missing the whole childhood of your baby, is not worth it.

South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham says, “People come here to have babies…they come here to drop a child. It’s called ‘drop and leave.’” Nora Sandiago, immigration rights activist, has found homes for about 800 children whose parents were either detained or deported over the past 25 years. These children have probably wondered why their real parents would have done this to them.

Illegal immigrants come into the U.S. to bring or have children because of their wanting to have a better job and to make more money. However, one of the main reasons they want to earn money is because they want to provide everything necessary for their family. These immigrants will be living in fear of  being taken away from their family while working to support them. In the end, if they get caught, they will regret coming in the first place because after they are taken away, they are not providing for their family anymore. Of course, the United States of America will welcome anyone who wants a better life, however, doing anything that is illegal is not favored.

In conclusion, illegal immigrant parents should be deported even though it would be separating them from their child. Encouraging these parents to stay like the Obama Administration is doing, is not the solution for this, but rather to help them learn a lesson. The right thing to do is to send them away; separate them from their children. This solution is one in which the illegal immigrant parents will learn and the future illegal immigrants will also stop themselves from doing this. This is for the better of keeping families together.

Works Cited

“Illegal Immigration from Mexico.” Illegal Immigration from Mexico. U.S. IMMIGRATION SUPPORT, 2012. Web. 02 Nov. 2014.

Lin, Joanna. “Eight Percent of U.S. Babies Born to Illegal Immigrants.” California Watch. California Watch, 2013. Web. 04 Nov. 2014.

Rodriguez, Cindy Y. “Deportations: Missing Parents, Scared Kids.” CNN. Cable News Network, 01 Jan. 1970. Web. 04 Nov. 2014.