A Rebuilding Season for Girls’ Basketball

Photo Credit: Mike Kelly

By Carly Flahive and Zach Smith

Junior captain Kaylie Doherty, 33
Photo Credit: Mike Kelly

Although numbers are low this year with no seniors trying out, the Westborough High School girls’ basketball team is looking forward to a fun season. After losing 8 seniors, 5 of which were starters, they well have to rebuild a strong starting lineup.

With no seniors on the team this year, juniors Kaylie Doherty and Julie Hutchinson have taken on the role as captain with goals of leading their teams to success. Hutchinson explains, “This year is going to be tough considering we don’t have any seniors playing.”  She adds, “It’s definitely important for Kaylie and I to work hard to rebuild the team and get the younger players caught up.”

Varsity Coach, Scott Kittredge, will be accompanied by assistant coaches, and former Ranger varsity players themselves, Jill Jones, class of 2007, and Stacy Teevens, class of 2010. Kittredge remarks, “We are going to be super young this year so hopefully we will continue to get better and stronger as the season continues.” Although the team with be young this year, they have potential to do very well.

Even though the first game is not until December, the team will be getting ready for their season shortly. With open gyms starting up this week, the team is ready to start getting into basketball shape and getting touches on the ball to prepare for their first game.

With tough competition, the team takes on Wachusett at home at 7pm on December 11 to start off their season. Starting off with a hard game, the team needs time to get ready for a difficult season.

Doherty includes, “I am excited for the season to start and despite the loss of 8 seniors, I am ready to work hard with my new teammates.”

Good luck to the Rangers basketball team as they get ready for an exciting and competitive rebuilding season.