Girls Soccer Season Comes to a Close

Photo Credit: Kelly Burneson

By: Carly Flahive

Photo Credit: Kelly Burneson

The Westborough Girls’ varsity soccer team’s season came to an end Sunday, November 9 after taking on Nashoba at Nashoba High School at 3pm. The girls battled hard for the entire game, yet after regulation time, the first overtime, and the first few minutes of the second overtime, the Rangers were not able to pull off the win.

Losing 1-0 in the district semi-finals was unfortunate, especially considering how well the Rangers played, however to make it this far was amazing when looking at the team before the season started. Losing 3 year varsity player Jenna Thomas, along with 14 graduated seniors, left the Rangers with a young team to begin with. With only 3 returning varsity players that could actually play this season, the girls still were able to have a great year.

Freshman Goal Keeper Chelsea Taylor had a great season and game for the Rangers. Diving everywhere in net to keep the score tied was very impressive. Taylor made some incredible saves throughout the entire game. Although she couldn’t keep the final shot of the game out of the net, she was a huge part of getting the team to that point in the game.

Taylor comments on her season, “As a freshman, especially in such a significant position, I was unsure of what to expect of my teammates, but my experience with this team will be unforgettable.” She continues saying, “I definitely didn’t want the season to end, but I already find myself looking forward to next year.”

Although the Rangers were not able to pull off a win to advance in the district playoffs, they were still able to clinch the league title, finishing their season with a 14-3-3 record. Although it is a disappointment to have their season come to a close, with only 7 players graduating and most of them returning, the Rangers look forward to having another strong season next year.