Seniors Last Day!
Congratulations!

Strong Season for Girls’ Soccer

by Carly Flahive and Zach Smith

Although having to battle many injuries throughout the season, the Westborough Girls’ Varsity soccer team has been having a very successful season with a 10-2-2 record. Although they fell short to both Wachusett and Nipmuc, both were tight, competitive games. With just four more games before post season, the team is looking to clench the league title with an undefeated record.

This year, freshman goalie, Chelsea Taylor, has been a huge addition to the team as she is very confident and comfortable in net and knows where and when to be. She has had 8 shutouts for the Rangers this year and with the 14 games that have been played, she has only given up 9 goals.

Last year, Margo Murphy, who graduated with the class of 2014, stepped up to go in net as the team lacked a goalie. Although she had an amazing season in net, leading the team to the state semi-final round, it is great to have a goalie this year who has trained for that position for years.

The Rangers are excited to go up against Algonquin as each year the game is a battle. Last year, although the Rangers lost 4-3 in regular season, they were able to pull off a win to grab the district title. Senior captain Jenna Thomas says  “This game is going to be a tough one but if we can play as a team and have a good mindset going into the game, we should be able to put up a good fight.”

With seven seniors on the team this year, the Rangers hope they can make it just as far, if not farther, than they did last year in post season. With a few tough games ahead, the Rangers hope to continue with their winning record.