RE2PECT: Derek Jeter Ends 20 Year Baseball Career at the Home of His Biggest Rivals

By Alexa Erickson and Marisa Papagelis

On Sunday September 28, 2014, The Boston Red Sox and The New York Yankees’ great rivalry was put on hold in order to come together and honor Yankees’ captain, Derek Jeter’s last career game after 20 years in New York. The Red Sox hosted a heartfelt ceremony led by Carl Yastrzemski to appreciate the future Hall-of-Fame contenders.

The ceremony kicked off with the words “WITH RESPECT 2 DEREK JETER” broadcasted letter by letter across the famous green monster scoreboard.

After a heartwarming moment, Jeter made his way to center field along with a warm Boston welcome.  Jeter was honored by former Red Sox players and hall of famers, such as Jason Varitek, Jim Rice, and Tim Wakefield. Former Boston sports athletes, including Bobby Orr from the Boston Bruins, Paul Pierce from the Boston Celtics, and Troy Brown from the New England Patriots, made an appearance to celebrate Jeter’s career.

The 2014 Red Sox team entered onto the field to acknowledge Jeter’s 20 years of good sportsmanship. The Red Sox second baseman, Dustin Pedroia, presented Jeter with his own second base to honor the 150 games he played in Boston.

In honor of Jeters’ Turn 2 Foundation, a foundation that motivates young people to turn away from drugs and alcohol, David Ortiz presented him with a check for $22,222.22 towards his organization.

To close off the ceremony, the Red Sox presented Derek Jeter with one last final gift. It was a metal placard with the word “RE2PECT” written across it. The placard will be hung on the Green Monster and was signed by the 2014 Red Sox Team. The sign symbolized the respect of Boston that Jeter has earned throughout his career. His legacy in Boston will live on forever.

Michelle Brooks Thompson from “The Voice” made one last congratulation by singing “RESPECT” to Derek Jeter. Cheers sounded throughout Boston at the site of this eventful day.

As for WHS’ involvement in the game, many students were impressed to see their city to support one of Boston’s biggest enemies. They enjoyed seeing how the rivalry was set aside for a day in order to honor someone who made an unforgettable contribution to the game of baseball.

WHS student Mary Beth Ashton comments, “I really enjoyed watching a rivalry come together to celebrate someone. It makes me proud to live in a city who truly cares about everyone.”

WHS freshman Maggie Connolly said, “To see the biggest rivalry in baseball come together to honor an opponent really showed a true sportsmanship, and other teams can learn from it.”

Die hard Red Sox fan, Jackie Latimer remarked, “I’ve always loved the Red Sox and despised the Yankees, but it was only fitting that the Yankees win their last game with their greatest Captain Derek Jeter.”

Jeter’s reaction to ending his eventful career at Boston was simply grateful that he was privileged enough to be recognized by so many Red Sox fans at the place where the most intense games in his lifetime took place.

“If there’s anywhere to play besides New York, I guess it’s only fitting that it’s here in Boston because of all the games that I’ve played here, the rivalry between the Red Sox and Yankees,” Jeter said, “If you can’t do it in New York, then this is the next-best place.”