Seniors Last Day!
Congratulations!

Girls’ Soccer Tallies First Under the Light Win

By Carly Flahive

Although the pace of the game was slow to start, the Rangers girls’ varsity soccer team was able to pull through with another win after a strong start in the second half of the game. The team went into the game wanting to beat North Middlesex and earn more points needed to make it to post season.

As senior captain Jenna Thomas expressed, “This was the first time we played North Middlesex so we came out with no expectations.” Although the team still has time to earn points, they are aware of which games they need to make sure they win and North Middlesex was one of them.

Last night was an exciting game for the Rangers as it was the first game of the week of lights here at Westborough High School. With lots of fans showing up to support the team, it was nice to see that they earned the  win. Senior captain Ashley Butler who plays outside mid for the Rangers mentioned how “the cheering adds motivation to the players on the field and keeps the team’s spirits up.”

Freshman forward Skylar Barry tucked in the first goal at the beginning of the second half and sophomore midfield player Emily Longo contributed the second two goals. Although the game was back and forth in the beginning, Barry and Longo were able to keep fighting until they got the chance to crash the net.

Butler commented, “Longo has so much control in the center of the field and is always looking to make the right play. She has been a huge part of the team and a key player for us this year.”

The  game was a physical match with lots of uncalled pushes and shoves, and yet, the soccer team was able to start of the week of lights with the first Ranger win. Thomas remarked that she  “hopes the rest of the week will go just as well as last night,” and Butler added, “Hopefully the Rangers can pull out a clean sweep just as all the teams did last year.”

Join the Rangers cheering section this week at the WHS turf at 7pm for the fall sports teams to bring home a victory.