Seniors Last Day!
Congratulations!

Casey Reaches Out to Elders

Casey Reaches Out to Elders

by: Joanna Armini, Kaylie Doherty, and Sarah Casey

If you’re looking for the perfect volunteer opportunity, Barnstable Senior Center opens its doors to eager teens ready to experience hands on work with elderly. One of these eager learners, Sarah Casey, 17, first visited the center with her grandfather this summer in Hyannis, Cape Cod. Her grandfather regularly volunteers at the center, so Casey was able to tag along. She was so excited to spend time with her grandfather, while volunteering with elderly.

When she first stepped in the door, she knew she would have a great time: “When I first walked in, I was greeted with warm smiles and friendly waves.”  Casey couldn’t wait to hear the incredible experiences the elderly at the center loved to share with volunteers. Right away, she bonded with an elder named Robert who loved sharing his experiences about fighting in Germany during World War II. Casey loved listening to Robert’s, as well as others, lifetime stories.

“I was really surprised at how willing the elderly were to open up to me about their life stories. This made me realize just how appreciate they really are to have volunteers who are willing to listen,” shares Casey.

Casey was happy to share her stories too, realizing that the elders appreciate what little company they receive, as many of their families are far away and unable to visit. She hopes sharing her experience at the center will inspire others to reach out to the elderly, as stated, “Sitting down talking with the elderly has helped me realize they just want someone to talk to you and to share their experiences with. I really hope more teenagers are willing to volunteer to hear these stories.”