Seniors Last Day!
Congratulations!

Red Sox Looking to Shutdown Uehara

By Hannah Eastwood

Due to a number of poor outings in the past weeks, the Red Sox have been closely monitoring the number of innings that closer Koji Uehara pitches. Now, thanks to a particularly terrible outing, the Sox are considering shutting down the 39 year old for the rest of the 2014 season.  Uehara allowed two solo homers in the ninth inning of last Friday’s series finale against the New York Yankees.  The walk off loss left Uehara with a yield of ten runs in his last 4 2/3 innings; further inflating his earned run average to 2.64 in 61.1 innings pitched.  This is a change of pace for Uehara, who was a large part of the team’s success in 2013.

With twenty two games remaining in the regular season, Uehara has allowed eighteen earned runs, ten of those being home runs.  Uehara has given up more earned runs (10) in his last six games than he’d permitted in his first 55 games this year (8).

“Anytime you give up a lead in the fashion that we did, those are tough games to take.  We’d given Koji eight days off, got him an inning of work the other night and still the lack of finish of his split is what allowed a couple pitches to the middle of the plate for a couple home runs,” manager John Farrell told reporters, “From viewing it and even talking to Koji, it’s the finish, whether it’s the intensity behind the delivery of the pitch’ on occasion he showed it, the first one had good depth to it on the swing and miss, but the consistency to it, which he’s been so good with, that’s lacking.”

If Uehara were to be removed from the closer position, the Red Sox would be left with a couple of options.  One would be Edward Mujica.  This is Mujica’s first season with the Red Sox and he has posted a less than stellar ERA of 4.05 in 53.1 innings pitched.  However, Mujica has experience in the closer position, earning 37 saves in 41 chances last season for the St. Louis Cardinals.

The other option for the Red Sox would be Burke Badenhop.  This is also Badenhop’s first season with the Sox in which he has posted a 2.49 ERA in 65.0 innings pitched.  Badenhop has been valuable all season to the Red Sox with his ability to take over the closer position when Uehara is in need of rest.

At 39 years old and free agency fast approaching, Uehara could find himself in trouble.  After blowing his last three save opportunities and needing increased rest due to fatigue, Uehara is looking less and less desirable as a closer.

*Update*

Prior to the Red Sox game against the Toronto Blue Jays on Friday September 6, 2014 manager, John Farrell announced that Koji Uehara had asked to be removed from the closer position, but not shut down for the season.  Edward Mujica will assume Uehara’s role as closer.

Uehara has struggled in his past six appearances, where he racked up a 19.29 earned run average with opponents hitting an even .500 off the right-handed pitcher.  Uehara has allowed 10 earned runs in his last 4 2/3 innings pitched.

Mujica has a 4.05 ERA in 53.1 innings pitched for the 2014 season.  Although, he is now stranger to the closer position.  Mujica earned 37 saves in 41 chances for the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2013.

The Red Sox also called up left-handed relief pitcher, Drake Britton from Triple-A Pawtucket.  He has a 5.86 ERA with the Pawsox’ bullpen this season in 45 appearances.  The 25 year old has struck out 27 batters, while walking 38.