Rangers Sports Updates

By: Nicholas Paul Goetz, Sammi Mack, Cassie Disaia, Jeff Arnold

This spring season was a successful one for Rangers athletics as multiple teams reached the playoffs and advanced past the first round. Here is where each stands.

Softball (10-10)

Led by a multitude of seniors, the softball team had a successful season. After starting the season 5-5, the team heated up and won three straight games in early May to make a push for the postseason. Unfortunately, the team then lost four straight games before heading to a final game where they would have to win to advance to the playoffs. Held on Memorial Day against Shepherd Hill, the Rangers won 4-3 behind the pitching of junior Victoria Zechello and the hitting of freshman Ally Rota who drove in the go ahead run in the bottom of the sixth.
In the first round of the playoffs the team again faced Shepherd Hill on the road. They lost this game 9-7 and thus their season concluded. Despite this disappointment, sophomore Molly Reilly still looks back fondly on the season.

“[The team] was really strong this year and it was a lot of fun,” she said. “Next year will be tough but I’m still excited and looking forward to it.”

Baseball (2-18)

Behind a combination of young talent and savvy veterans, the baseball team struggled to find its footing all season. With cold bats and a streaky pithcing staff, the team won only two games while losing 18. They were also mercied three times. Despite this season losing an intense uphill battle, there were some positives to take away from it.

Sophomores Jason Lu, Dan Lis, Anthony Caspariello, and Dylan Kehoe all gained valuable varsity experience and, along with juniors Gavin Wilsker, Connor Fitzgerald, and Brendan Shunney, will look to improve on this year’s performance. The junior varsity team also played well this season and will add to the young talent on the varsity team next season.

“It was frustrating at times this season,” said sophomore Jason Lu, “but next year will be better and hopefully we can improve and get better as a team.”

Girls’ Tennis (14-2)

The Girls’ Varsity tennis team finished their season last Monday as they fell 2-3 to Shrewsbury in the District Semi-Finals. They had previously beaten Shrewsbury twice in the regular season, earning their title for the first time as Midland A league champions. “It’s a disappointment. We were pretty confident that we would win the district finals at least, remarked first doubles player sophomore Lauren Almy.

Senior Captains Ashley Chiu and Samantha Kehoe pulled through to win at second and third singles, as first singles Brianna Greene, the first doubles duo of Captain Arielle Sigel and Almy, and the second doubles team of Alexa Conlin and sophomoreSamantha Mack fell in close matches. “Samantha and I had beaten Shrewsbury’s second doubles team twice before, but they practiced a lot and we fell short. It was just very frustrating,”  exclaimed Conlin.

The team lead the league with a record of 14-2 in the regular season. Chiu and Kehoe finished undefeated. In the MIAA Central Mass Individuals Tournament, Greene was a finalist at singles, Conlin and Mack semifinalists at doubles, and Kehoe and Almy finalists as well. “We generated a lot of team spirit, and overall had a great season. Although it was unexpectedly short, we played great,” said Sigel. After moving up from Midwach B in 2012 to Midland A, the competition was much stronger, but the Rangers managed to come out on top in this 2014 season.

Boys’ Tennis (16-3)

The Boys’ Varsity tennis team is having a phenomenal season this year, currently undefeated with a record of 20-0. Captain Ben Czech leads the way, along with senior Kishore Rao. Remarkably, they have won every match 5-0 except for a 4-1 win vs. St John’s earlier this season.  Freshman Samuk Pathi has retained the first singles position, and won the MIAA Central Mass Individual Tournament this year. With a 2013 record of 16-3, tied for first place in the league, they advance to the State Semifinals on Monday, June 9, time and location TBD.

Boys’ Lacrosse (13-5)

Boys’ varsity lacrosse had an extremely successful season this year under the leadership of senior captains Mike Gallo, Kevin Skrivin, Kyle Lemack, and Connor Joyce  the team had a record of 13-5 and managed to make it in to the playoffs this year, where they lost in the district quarter final at Westfield 11-6. When asked about the season Coach Reed said, “It was a good season as a whole, great team, some good wins, we grew as a team and had some great successful wins although we are losing some great senior power our goal is to make it to districts and win. Same defense- some great young power coming up.” Overall boys’ lacrosse had a very successful season and looks to duplicate that success next year.

Girls’ Lacrosse (12-6)

Girls’ lacrosse made it to the district quarter finals this year and had a regular season record of 12-6. The team had many great games including 10-8 win over Algonquin to close out the season. The team certainly hopes to continue at this same high level of play next year, with many players returning and exciting new talent coming up the ranks.

Boys’ and Girls’ Track

The Boys’ and Girls’ track team’s season is just coming to a close with States coming up this weekend and their districts meet occurring last Saturday.  The boys’ had an amazing undefeated season and performed to their best ability at districts and states.  Three senior boys qualified for states:  Jack Chuma, who was also the District pole vaulting champion, Jamie Plowman, and Charlie Burress.  The boys ended up finishing in 14th place at districts which was held at Westfield State.

District qualifier Garrett Beaudette reflected positively on this year’s track season saying, “Districts went well, we were undefeated for our regular season and league champions.  I ran the 400 hurdles and that got me to districts.  I feel accomplished knowing I helped out my team, track is all about the team.”

The Girls’ Track team also had a great season and finished 15th at Districts.  Senior Sarah Anderson will be continuing on to states for shot-put; seniors Courtney Ho and Anna Gimilaro will be continuing on to states for pole vaulting.

Come out to support the Boys’ and Girls’  Track teams at States which will be held Saturday, June 7th at Bridgewater State starting at 1:30pm.