Battle of the Burritos: Moes vs. Chipotle

by:  Alanna Judd

Soon Moes Southwest Grill will move to Westborough–right down the road from Chipotle Mexican Grill on Rt. 9 in what used to be the  Relax the Back store in the shopping center on Otis Street, the burrito rivalry is at an all-time high.  The tacos, burrito bowls, and other menu items from Chipotle have been tweeted and instagramed countless times by students at WHS. Now for the first time, the town is giving Moes a well-deserved spot in to claim their title as the burrito rolling king.

While it may be a no brainer that Chipotle has less processed ingredients which adds a fresher taste to the burrito, it does lack a the variety of ingredients.  Chipotle has only four main meats/items available.  Chicken, steak, barbacoa, or vegetarian (which is just vegetables, not tofu). These items are the only selections that a customer can choose when ordering.  On the other hand, Moes’ wide range of ingredients include chicken, ground beef, tofu, steak, or pulled pork and over 20+ free and fresh ingredients, including bacon, that the customer can add to their meal.

Also, Moes’ menu actually has creative and interesting names for their food.  The Home wrecker, the Wrong Doug, the Super King Pin are all well-known menu items at Moe’s.  Chipotle’s menu includes the bland choice of burrito, taco, bowl, or salad.  Free chips and salsa are also a plus when going to Moes, whereas Chipotle charges the customer an extra $3 for those sides.

Chipotle and Moes have pretty steep prices when it comes to their meals, but after some research, the customer will definitely get more for his/her money by going to Moe’s.  As aforementioned, Chipotle charges more for chips, a side of salsa, and $2 extra for guacamole.  At Moe’s free chips and salsa are included in the price. So if you’re looking to save that extra $3/4, Moe’s is the place to go.

The well-known phrase, “Welcome to Moes!!!” is shouted as customers enter the restaurant.  Many customers note this greeting as friendly and welcoming as it contributes to an at home and relaxing atmosphere.  Bright lighting, great music, and posters of famous look-a-likes also help with the setting.

One big difference between Chipotle and Moes is the seating.  Moes has comfortable cushioned seating, while Chipotle has single wooden seats that make one’s “behind” very uncomfortable.  How are hungry, paying customers supposed to enjoy their burrito when their only thought is how uncomfortable the chairs feel?  The dark, dimmed lighting in Chipotle, along with loud music and a rushed atmosphere is stressful.

At the end of the day, both Moe’s and Chipotle are great restaurants that make pretty much the same food.  If you are looking for healthier and non-processed ingredients for a little more expensive price, then Chipotle should be your destination.  However, if you are looking for a relaxing time to sit down and enjoy the best tasting burrito of your life with free chips and salsa and way more ingredients then Chipotle, then I suggest going to Moes.