March Madness Quick Takes: Sweet Sixteen Set

By Jeff Arnold

It’s that time of year again. Time for upsets, buzzer-beaters, busted brackets, and more than a few Cinderella stories. 68 teams enter, only one will be crowned victorious as a National Champion.

After an exciting opening weekend to the NCAA tournament, 16 teams remain still in the running.

Region: South

#1 Florida: After taking care of Albany and Pitt in the first two rounds, the Gators will face a hot UCLA team behind the consistent play of Scottie Wilbekin and Patric Young.

#4 UCLA: Two blowout wins to open the tournament, combined with carried over momentum from a win in the Pac-12 tournament set up a solid match-up with Florida.

#11 Dayton: The upset-minded Flyers have proven their worth after taking down #6 Ohio State and #3 Syracuse in the opening round, setting up an underwhelming, but intriguing match-up with #10 Stanford.

#10 Stanford: After upsetting #7 New Mexico in the opening round, The Cardinal shocked #2 Kansas in the second round, who now are looking for a berth in the elite eight.

Region: East

#1 Virginia: Two big wins in the opening rounds make Virginia one of the most feared teams left in the tournament who now match-up against a surging Michigan State squad.

#4 Michigan State: After fending off upset-hungry Harvard in the second round, the Spartans are looking to continue their march to the Final Four behind the play of Adreian Payne and Gary Harris and coaching of Tom Izzo against Virginia.

#3 Iowa State: After a comfortable opening round win in which they lost key scorer Georges Niang to a fractured bone in his right foot, the Cyclones narrowly beat North Carolina and now match-up against UConn in the Sweet Sixteen.

#7 UConn: The front court of Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright led the Huskies to two close wins in the first rounds who now will face an injury weakened but experience strengthened Iowa State team with an Elite Eight birth on the line.

Region: West

#1 Arizona: After a solid win against Weber State in the opening round and a blowout of Gonzaga in the second, the Wildcats, led by athletic freshman, Aaron Gordon, now will San Diego State.

#4 San Diego State: Behind the coaching of Steve Fisher, the Aztecs followed up a narrow first round victory over New Mexico State with a blowout of North Dakota State and now look to build on that performance against the favored Arizona Wildcats.

#6 Baylor: A blowout win over Creighton has helped the Bears continue to build momentum and gain confidence which sets up an intriguing match-up with Wisconsin.

#2 Wisconsin: After a 40 point win over American in the first round, the Badgers took care of business against Oregon and now will face Baylor behind the play of versatile big-man Frank Kaminsky.

Region: Midwest

#8 Kentucky: After a big win over #1 Wichita State in the second round behind the play of freshmen Julius Randle and Andrew Harrison, the Wildcats now take on in-state rival Louisville.

#4 Louisville: Luke Hancock and the Cardinals barely escaped the opening round but, after a comfortable victory in the second round, are now looking to return to the Elite Eight on their way to a second consecutive national title.

#11 Tennessee: Perhaps the most surprising of the sixteen remaining teams, the Volunteers have won three games in the tournament (play-in game, first round, second round) and are now looking to beat Michigan and move on.

#2 Michigan: Led by sophomores Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III, the Wolverines are looking to continue their good play and advance to the Elite Eight.