WORLD SERIES SHOCKER

WOW! That’s all I can really say about last night’s World Series game six. The Texas Rangers came into the game seeking their first World Series title in franchise history. However, the Cardinals would prevail and manage to put together one of the greatest comebacks in World Series history.

Down 7-4 in the bottom of the 8th inning, St. Louis looked like their season was soon to be over. Allen Craig hit one out of the park for the Cardinals, but the solo shot was not enough for the team. Still trailing by two runs, the Cards found themselves in this situation: two men on base, two outs, two strikes, David Freese up at the plate facing All-Star closer Neftali Feliz. So, what does Freese do? He ropes a TRIPLE scoring both Pujols and Berkman and tying the game!

So right about now, I’m saying to myself, “They got this game, there’s no way they can blow it now.” But that’s exactly what they seemed to do. In Red-Sox-like fashion, the Cardinals were victimized by Josh Hamilton’s two run shot in the top of the 10th inning. As the inning proceeded to the bottom half, a similar predicament would be approached. The Card’s would grab a run back early in the inning but still trailed by one. Once again, the Cardinals were facing elimination with two outs, two strikes, and two men on base. But as fate would have it, Cardinals’ slugger Lance Berkman came through, lining a single into right and scoring the game-tying run. Once again, I COULD NOT believe what I was witnessing.

Then, as the fairy-tale story would have it, in the bottom of the 11th, David Freese would come through again. His walk off homer would end it, just four hours and thirty-three minutes after the first pitch.

This could be the greatest World Series game ever, battling with classic such as Carlton Fisk’s walk off in 1975, Don Larsen’s perfect game in 1956, and Reggie Jackson’s three home run game in 1976.

As a Red Sox fan, but not a huge baseball fan otherwise, I usually could care less about the World Series if the Sox aren’t contending. However, any sports fan would have been pleased while watching the game last night. Game seven will be tonight, and I don’t see the Cardinal’s losing it at home. Look for a close game, with St. Louis pouring the champagne afterwards.