Crash Scene Reconstruction

Tomorrow, Friday, May 13th, WHS Junior and Senior students will be going out to the back parking lot to see a crash scene reconstruction.  The reconstruction will include a car from an actual DUI accident and demonstrate the tragic aftermath of what happens when someone is under the influence and crashes.  The hope of organizers, led by Officer Dapolite, is to show the consequences and the risks of driving impaired.

Officer Dapolite deserves a lot of credit for organizing tomorrow’s assembly.  For several years some student leaders and others in the community have suggested the type of assembly we will see tomorrow.  However, no one has seriously acted on these positive and thoughtful suggestions until Officer Dapolite started working on making tomorrow’s assembly happen.  For his efforts, he deserves the community’s thanks.

I hope that everyone in our community comes out of the event with a stronger appreciation for how quickly lives can change forever in just a few moments.  I also hope that as a student community we will begin to alter some of the decision making that has put us at risk for the situation that will be shown tomorrow.  This should show us that our student body  has to find more alternative ways to relax besides “risky behavior.”  We are a smart student body, and tomorrow’s assembly should allow us to fully understand that the risks associated with drinking and DUI aren’t rewarding or fulfilling.