NFL Mid-Season Update

Pixabay.com

Entering week 8 of the NFL 2023-24 season, we have seen organizations throughout the NFL show many signs of greatness. Offensive powerhouses such as the Chiefs, Dolphins, and 49ers have prevailed in scoring as we reach the halfway mark in the season. Despite the success on offense, teams such as the Browns, Steelers, and Chiefs have created havoc defensively for quarterbacks. As the season heads into the second half of the year, teams look to build up momentum for the playoffs and ultimately take home the Super Bowl. However, there are a few teams in mind that stand out from the rest.

First, the obvious favorite, the San Francisco 49ers, have looked unstoppable to begin their season. Led by quarterback Brock Purdy, the Niner’s offense has been explosive to the opponent’s defenses. Offensive weapons, such as Christian McCafferty, Deebo Samuel, and Brandon Aiyuk, provide Purdy with valuable options to look for while marching down the field to get into the endzone. Not only does the offensive seem uncontainable, but their defense makes the 49ers Super Bowl contenders. Reigning Defensive Player of the Year defensive end Nick Bosa leads this crew to allowing the third lowest points in the NFL, as they have only allowed teams to score more than 20 points three this season. With a scorching 5-3 start, the 49ers want to keep the train rolling through the rest of the regular season. 

The 49ers have been commanding in the NFC. In the AFC, the Miami Dolphins have been the most impressive team through 7 weeks. The Dolphins have many stars on both sides of the field, led by Tua Tagovailoa. Miami has shown week in and week out that they know how to score. Their Dynamic Duo of wide receivers Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle have been exceptional. Each contains the threat of running for a 70-yard touchdown. The X-Factor for the Dolphins is Tyreek Hill. Hill earned the name “Cheetah” due to his insane speed and route-running abilities. Hill is constantly double-covered but still finds a way to surpass 75 yards receiving each week. The Fins can strike any moment, leaving teams in shock and suppressing any possible momentum. NFL fans claim that the Dolphins have had a favorable schedule thus far. This is true, but the variety of players scoring will make this team hard to stop, regardless of the defense. The Fins have also struggled with injuries on the defensive side of the ball. Once cornerbacks Xavian Howard and newly traded Jalen Ramsey return, this Dolphins team will be impeccable. Miami is 6-2, but the best has yet to come for Coach Mike McDaniel and the Dolphins. 

As the 49ers and the Dolphins look as the heavy favorites to take home the Super Bowl, hometown team New England Patriots have struggled to succeed in the front half of the regular season. Third-year quarterback Mac Jones has one of the lowest quarterback ratings (QBR) in the NFL and has thrown three interceptions returned for touchdowns in the first seven games this season. Fans are now beginning to believe it is time to move on from Jones. The Patriots offense has scored less than 10 points three times this season, more than any other team in the NFL this season. The Pats are currently standing in last place in the AFC East at 2-6. Despite this disappointing record, it doesn’t reflect how the Patriots have played thus far. Three of the Patriot’s five losses have been possessions games against impressive teams such as the Dolphins, Eagles, and Raiders. If the Patriots scored on their game-winning drives, they would be 5-2, and NFL fans would take them seriously. The Pats are one final drive away from continuing their dynasty as Super Bowl contenders. 

To conclude, the Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers look dominant to begin their seasons. With the 49ers having successful playoff runs in the past, along with the Dolphin’s star power and phenomenal coaching, fans believe they will match up in Super Bowl LVIII for the Lombardi Trophy. On the other hand, the hometown team, New England Patriots, has looked horrific as we head into the midway of the season. At this point, fans might hope the Patriots continue to lose for a valuable draft pick and potentially a new quarterback going into next season.