Senior Julia Mills commits to Suffolk University for Softball

Lily Vaughan '23, Co-Editor

Julia Mills is a WHS senior who recently committed to Suffolk University to play Division III softball. Mills has been playing competitive softball since she was 10 years old, and she found her passion on the t-ball field at the age of 5. 

“It’s always been a dream of mine to play college softball; I grew up watching the Women’s College World Series on TV every spring. Although I am no D1 athlete, I always have known that I wanted to try and play at the next level,” Mills shares. 

Mills has played for many different club teams throughout her career; however, her summer league team, through the town, stood out to her as her favorite.

“I loved it because I got to play with all the girls I have grown up playing with,” Mills says. 

Today, Mills plays for one of the Central Mass Voodoo Softball 18u teams and has been with them for about 3 years. While the club team is pretty competitive and the girls push each other, everyone is also there having fun together.

Mills is also a vital part of the softball team at WHS. She has played on varsity for the past two years, minus her freshman year when their season was canceled due to COVID. Mills’ primary position is shortstop; however, she will play anywhere that her coaches need her. This past spring, Mills made it to the leaderboard in batting average for the league and was a Mid Watch All-Star, where she earned a spot in the all-star game at the end of the school year.

Mills is one of two returning seniors to the varsity team next season and is excited to be a leader to the underclassmen this season. Senior Ella Antonelli has been Mill’s teammate on the high school team all three years. 

Antonelli comments, “Julia is not only a great teammate but a great leader and a role model, too. She is one of the hardest-working players I know, and I know that I can always count on her to be there for our team.”

In terms of the college process, Mills shares that it was difficult, “It’s very frustrating sending emails to a bunch of coaches and them either not responding or sending generic messages back.”

She started reaching out to coaches later than usual, around spring of last year, but wishes she started sooner. The hardest part about the recruiting process for Mills was making a highlight video, which took a lot of time for only a few short minutes of footage. 

Mills realized quickly that she liked Suffolk University.

“First of because of the campus, right in downtown Boston, but more importantly, I created a really good relationship with Coach Maguire, the head coach. She always responded to my emails and made many efforts to go and watch some of my games,” Mills adds.

Mills also has always had an interest in Suffolk because her aunt went there. 

All in all, what Mills loves the most about softball is that it is a team sport; however, you are in control of what you personally do. 

“I know a lot of people may think softball is slow and kind of boring, but I like the strategy behind it and doing whatever you can to win,” Mills states. 

Mills is very excited for what her future holds, including her last high school season and beginning her next chapter at Suffolk University.