Advanced Journalism’s Trip to Polar Park

Kiley Vallee '22, Co-Editor

A few weeks ago, WHS Advanced Journalism took a trip to Worcester to visit Polar Park, the home stadium of the WooSox, Worcester’s minor league baseball team. Advanced Journalism teacher, Mrs. Stoker planned the trip with her former student Brendan Black who is a camera operator and content creator for the WooSox. 

At the stadium, the class was given a tour of the park, and got to see a lot of the camera equipment and broadcasting devices. They went into the control room, the box office where the commentating happened, and learned a lot about the broadcasting aspects of how WooSox games operate.

Advanced Journalism student and Junior Co-Editor, Matty Burger notes, “My favorite part was seeing the technological aspects behind a sporting event.” 

The class also got to see the team’s clubhouse, where their locker room, weight room, meeting room is. They met the clubhouse manager, Mario Oliveira, who showed them the many aspects that go into running a successful team. He talked ins and outs of the team dynamic and how he works to make transitions and game days comfortable for each player. 

“Going on the WooSox trip was quite exciting. Its great we have another baseball team locally that we can visit,” Ben Grossman, Lobby O Executive Producer states.

Black notes his perspective; “It was an amazing experience to bring my former English and Journalism teacher, Mrs. Stoker, and her journalism students to Polar Park. Mrs. Stoker was one of my favorite teachers that I’ve ever had and she always encouraged me to follow my passions. Being able to show her (and her students) that I am pursuing my dreams while using skills she taught me was a very special experience. I think back on my time at WHS very fondly, as it’s where I made lifelong friends and laid the groundwork for my eventual career.”

Brendan Black holding one of the cameras used for the WooSox

The class plans to go back to Polar Park to attend a game on April 26th