Revealing the secrets of one of the funniest and passionate coaches: Coach Frey

Matthew Willar ‘22, Contributing Writer

The Westborough High School boys basketball program is led by captains and players; however, behind those players is the leadership from Head Coach Brian Willar, Assistant Coach Chris Simoneau,  Assistant Coach Dan Bready and JV2 Head Coach Mike Frey. 

Frey, a Westborough High School graduate, has been coaching the JV2 team for the past two years. Frey played JV basketball for Coach Scott Kitteredge during his years at Westborough and learned a lot about the game. He never played on varsity,  but did manage to win a Rec Basketball Championship. 

After attending Westborough High School, he attended Rhode Island College in Providence. He studied business management, and then returned to Westborough so he could eat on a daily basis at his top 5 favorite restaurants:  Sapporo, Ted’s, New York Deli, The Central House, and his all-time favorite, Zitis. 

Before Frey joined the coaching staff, he sold sports memorabilia at the Providence Place Mall and had the opportunity to meet a good number of players from the New England Patriots team. 

Frey had never thought of being a coach, until the day his friend Dan Brady, the current JV1 boys basketball coach, posted the job on his FaceBook page.  Frey decided he wanted to take on the challenge.

“I know how much Dan enjoys it, and I knew that I could have that same experience,” Frey shares.  

Frey’s first season as a coach was a little rocky, but he managed to have a great time with the team and got to know his players on and off the court. One of his favorite memories of his first season was his manager Cole Ellison. Frey comments, “Cole Ellison went on a live stream on the IG and gave me a shoutout.” 

Frey managed to design some plays that he incorporated into his games which helped the team to finish the game, win o

“We lost in OT to Marlborough, but we were so competitive, and it was great to watch the kids compete and go all out.

— Coach Frey

r loss. Frey’s favorite game from the first season was against Marlborough. 

“We lost in OT to Marlborough, but we were so competitive, and it was great to watch the kids compete and go all out,” remembers Frey.

The second season for Frey’s JV2 team was filled with excitement and focused on improvement and development. With a whole new team, Frey had his hopes up to improve his coaching skills. Frey’s players could not stop talking about him, and he really created a bond with the team. 

Sophomore Colin West, a key player on the 2018-2019 team states, “When we were in Fitchburg and walking back to the white van in the dark, he looked at us and scared us saying that someone was in the van so we all ran away.” 

Frey really showed off his comedic abilities this season and earned the nickname of “Huggy Bear.” Frey created a special bond with these players, and when asked about specific details, he states, “Last year’s team had a great attitude win or loss, they always had fun.” 

In his free time, Frey enjoys working for a roofing company and golfing with varsity boys basketball coach Brian Willar.

The Westborough High School boys basketball program would not be the same without Huggy Bear Coach Frey.