Algonquin to Westborough to Loyola Maryland: Lexi Austin’s Volleyball Journey

By: Abby Papetti

After transferring from Westborough’s rival school, Algonquin Regional High School, Lexi Austin continues to have a positive impact in the school both on and off the volleyball court.

It took little time for Austin to adjust to the new dynamic after joining the Rangers. As an outside hitter, she not only took part in the teams 22-4 record but also served during the game point of the state championship. “My favorite part about Westborough volleyball is how close we all are with each other,” Austin says while talking about the program, “I can always go through the halls in school and see another volleyball player and say hi and talk to. It’s a big group of girls that I can always form new friendships with.”

Coming off a state championship from last season, Ranger’s Volleyball is determined to keep the title. With a brand new roster, the team is working to improve every day after losing nine seniors, six of which were starting spots. All 15 players on this year’s team are working hard to preserve the competitiveness of past teams over the years.

This season, the team is off to a great start, beating both Algonquin and Duxbury, who they had previously played in the state semifinals. “The season is going very well and I’m proud of how well the team has recovered,” Austin says, referencing the sudden change in the starting line up. Despite the setbacks, Austin and her teammates continue to work hard and become closer as a team both on and off the court.

When Austin is asked about what she is most excited about this season, she says, “I am looking forward to the team improving together and getting the underclassmen ready for the season ahead of them”.

Looking into the future, Austin has recently committed to Loyola Maryland for college and plans to play volleyball there next fall. Although the underclassmen will miss her next year, all of her teammates are excited to see what she accomplishes in the future.