Seniors Last Day!
Congratulations!

Week 3 rec ball power rankings

Week 3 rec ball power rankings

By: Luke McGrath

1. Morin (4-0): The Morin v. Bersani game on Sunday was disappointing to say the least. What was supposed to be a showdown between the two best big men in the league turned into a joke. Although the game was tied before Correnti’s technical, team Morin still did things that were impressive. Alexander’s 24 points were very promising and Shaw had another solid performance. This team continues to play outstanding basketball and gives me no reason to move them down in the rankings.

2. Meyer (3-1): A very respectable win over Kelley this week. Avery got another 20 and seems to be the best penetrator in the league. More importantly, Moiz had a very solid week with 15. Moiz will need to continue putting up these numbers in order for this team to make a run at the ship. Kev Ji gave another decent performance and while he may need to score a little more in order to help Avery, he can still be a great second option on this team without having to score 20+ points. This team may have the easiest schedule left of any team so look for them to stay hot.

3. Smith (3-1): After a tough loss to Meyer last week, Smith really proved themselves beating a very good Team Barry, even though Barry is still missing Joe Fitz. The fact that they were able to beat a team of this caliber without anyone scoring over 10 is impressive. However, the bench players will need to continue to play well and Shuff has to keep playing confidently in order for this to continue. Still waiting on an above-average scorer to immerge from this team.

4. Barry (3-1): After the loss this weekend I think everyone on this team was wishing that Fitz was healthy. His size and athleticism may have been the thing that pushed them to a W. Saying that, this team did show some weakness this week giving up a bunch of fast break buckets. This team has a plethora of scorers and they need to make sure that everyone is getting there shots, Logan, Spencer, Jackson, etc. Logan looked good from 3 point land on Sunday but a lot the scorers did not really get into a rhythm and that hurt them.

5. Hillier (2-2): Hillier is one of those teams that I feel could surprise everyone and make a run. They have only lost to Bersani and Meyer and have beat two decent teams in Ruhl and Vanheest. The win this weekend showed me that they may be able to get closer to the quality of play at the top 4 spots. I know they only beat Ruhl by 1 but Eugene looked very good and they did a great job on defense. This win with Liu only having 4 points may have proven that if Eugene and Liu are playing high quality basketball, they can score.

6. Bersani (3-2): This team had a major reality check on Sunday morning. They went up against a superior Morin team and got crushed. People have been blaming that game on Sam’s technical and I understand that but Sam cannot play the whole game no matter what and his team showed a horrifying lack of depth. With an embarrassing 4 points in the 2nd quarter it is hard to see them making a big run without Correnti scoring 25+. Some of the younger guys need to improve their scoring and Correnti needs to work on his ball fakes in order for this team to get back on track.

7. Ruhl (2-2): I’m not going to lie, this team was one Marty Ruhl buzzer beater away from being in the Top 5. As we all know, close doesn’t count for anything in Rec Ball and that’s how they landed here in the 7 spot. The simple solution for this team is Wong, Mo, and Flahive scoring around 10 each per game. It was very obvious in their final possession that no one else would have even thought about shooting the ball except Marty and to me that shows some weakness. Everyone out there should be confident and want to be the guy that hits the game winner.

8. Vanheest (3-2): This team had two very underwhelming wins this week over Philbrook and Riela. While their record may be over .500, I am far from convinced. One thing that was impressive was Greg’s 30 points. Everyone in the league has been waiting for the one of the Amador’s to go off and show why they are one of the best combinations in the league. So if they are able to put up these numbers against a more respectable team then maybe they do still have a shot in the league.

9. Kelley (2-2): With a tough 13 point loss to Meyer it is hard to move these guys anywhere but down. Meyer is deffinetly one of the better teams but they do not have a great defense, so it is tough to see no one, especially Polich, without at least 15 points. It is still up to Max to turn this season around for Team Kelley but he will continue to need help from other role players. It will be very hard for this team to compete with any of the top 4 teams but if they can beat a few middle of the pack teams and get their chemistry together, they may still have a shot.

10. Mac (2-2): I think I may be ready to call it quits with team Mac unless they can figure out how to score, Horsefall and Walthal just don’t seem to have the scoring ability they both had possessed in past season. Beating a weak team Riela this week did not earn them any improvement in their rank so they will stay at 10 or lower unless Horsefall and Walthall can put together a substantial win over a decent team.

11. Guilbeau (2-3): Guilbeau beat Khoury and Philbrook this week. It is hard to put any stock in these wins especially since they were both by single-digits. However, it is promising to see them scoring 54. Maybe they will be able to build off of these two wins and stay hot. However, maybe these wins were only wins because they were over the worst two teams in the league and Guilbeau will continue to lose. Next sunday is important for this team.

12. Riela (1-4): Probably the most disappointing team up to this point in the season. Playing Vanheest and Mac this week, I think most people thought they would go at least 1-1 between those two games, so to come out of them with nothing is tragic. Plus an injury to their big man Max Houle is just another set back for this team. Vondy’s 26 on Monday are a positive sign but the fact that he and Ben combined for 44 and still lost shows that this team has a real depth issue.

13. Khoury (1-4): I think everyone at the Khoury game on Sunday was pulling for them to beat Guilbeau, so after a tough loss it is hard for me to picture Khoury beating anyone else in their remaining schedule or the playoffs. I will continue to hope that Gonzo, Jalen, and Komari may be able to pull off one more shocker . They are deffinetly gritty enough to do so.

14. Philbrook (0-5): Probably their most winnable game of the season was on Monday and it did not go their way. This team desperately needs Aidan Burke and maybe he will be playing soon. Until then though Jrod is going to need to put up more points to match Barrett. If this team is going to win anytime soon, they will need these two players to carry them to victory.