Week 2 Rec Ball Power Rankings

Week 2 Rec Ball Power Rankings

By: Luke McGrath

Week 2 Power Rankings:

1. Morin (3-0): Kings stay kings. Another convincing win over a solid team in Vanheest leaves no reason for team Morin to drop in the rankings. Shaw dropped another 20+ game and is among a handful of players that are averaging over 20 points. Ryan Alexander is also putting up great numbers alongside Shaw. Even though Morin may not have played the best teams in the league, their wins have been so convincing, all being by 10+ points, it is hard to imagine them losing to any team in these rankings.

2.Barry (3-0): Team Barry is the only other team in the league that maybe arguably the best team out there. After a still surprising win 9 days ago, they followed it with an impressive performance. Having Spencer back deffinetly helped and allowed them to cruise to a victory. I may sound like a broken record but once this team gets Joe Fitz back they may pass Morin for that 1 spot. However, Barry faces a defensively strong team in Team Smith this week and it should be a good test to see if they are actually as deep as they appear.

3. Meyer (2-1): Hey Kev Ji, welcome to the league. Clearly Kevin took offense to the last power rankings because his performances this week were nothing short of spectacular. He put up 20+ against both Smith and Hillier and grabbed 2 victories alongside Avery. Now that Kevin is playing well, this team will need big Joe and Moiz . If this group of four guys can all play well then this team will continue to win. Joe’s size also puts this team into the group of teams that have a solid big man, so if he can compete with a Shaw or Correnti, this team will be good.

4. Smith (2-1): After a tough loss to Meyer sunday afternoon, the question being asked by everyone was where was Cord? CJ putting up a 26 spot is deffinetly a great sign for this team but it is still Cord’s team and if he can get his scoring to the 20ish range then Team Smith will be hard to beat. Although they scored 62 this week, they will still need to score more points consistently. Shuff with 12 is also a positive to take away from this game but will team Smith have enough scoring to hang with the other top 5 teams? Sundays game versus Barry should answer some questions.

5. Bersani (3-1): I do not think anyone saw a run like this coming from Bersani. Winning back to back games is one of the hardest things to do in rec ball especially when your second game goes to OT. Correnti may finally be breaking away from his soft ways and sprouting into the 6′ 4″, 227 pound beast that he was always supposed to be. Ryan Nichols may also be one of the better three point shooters in the league. However, this may have just been a fluke week. This Sunday, a fourth straight win would silence all doubters and set them as a clear top 5 team.

6. Ruhl (2-1): Kev Ruhl, if you are reading this, please continue to coach in this league alongside Big Ed. Sincerely, everyone. Ruhl has played well in every game this season. Having only lost to a solid Team Smith, they should still be considered a possible championship team. Marty still needs to get his scoring up, and so does Wong and Flahive, but they deffinetly have raw talent. They have a lot of potential to win but it will come down to if they can break that 50 point ceiling and become a higher-scoring offense,

7. Kelley (2-1): Kelley is 2-1 so they are clearly a decent team but their wins do not really say a lot about them. They have only beat Philbrook and Guilbeau. They have also lost to Bersani in OT in the second games of Bersani’s double-header. Polich, Parent, and Mespelli are all good players and all need to be averaging at least 12. This is still Polich’s team and he has to make sure to not try to do too much and to let the game flow through him. If he plays a more controlled style this team will have success. Keep looking out for Pat, he’s the future of team Kelley.

8. Hillier (1-2): Hillier has deffinetly had a tough schedule so far playing Vanheest, Bersani, and Meyer. Without a crazy comeback win week 1 this team may be (0-3) and sitting at the bottom of the rankings. The only reason they won that game is because of Eugene and Ryan Liu. These two kids can play and play decently well together. The problem is no one else is doing any scoring. Defenses have seemed to notice this quickly and managed both of them while not really worrying too much about the other players. So the burden for this team is placed on everyone accept these two to step up and score.

9. Vanheest (1-2): I don’t want to say the Amadors were all hype but as of right now the Amadors were all hype. Team Morin is very good so it is hard to weigh that loss too heavily but having a tough loss to Hillier and only a win against Khoury it is hard to put this team any higher in the rankings. Chris, Greg, and Jack are still above average players and have a lot of potential. They just need to play better as a team and increase their scoring. This team is very quick and should be able to stack up fast-break points.

10. Mac (1-2): Mac’s win over Bersani came at a point when I feel that Bersani had not quite found their rhythm yet and for that reason I may be giving Mac less credit then they deserve. Saying that, I don’t care if they won that game or not, their stars are under performing. Both Walthal and Horsefall being kept under 15 is unacceptable. I am not going to condone Walthal taking any more step back threes, but this team needs to put up more points and figure out how to quickly because Horsefall and Walthal have not been close to enough this season.

11. Riela (1-2): Having now only beaten Philbrook, this is another team where it seems like their star player may have been over hyped. Vondy is a great athlete and a solid penetrator, but he needs to hit more mid range and three point shots in order for his team to win. Ben has played well consistently but without a ton of height he will need Vondy to spread out the floor more in order for him to get more looks. This team has had one of the toughest schedules so they could possibly still make a solid push now that they have played some of the better teams.

12. Khoury (1-3): Love seeing a team like this come together and get a W. Yeah maybe it was over team Philbrook but that’s beside the point. Gonzo, Jalen, and Komari proved that this team still wants to win and will work hard. So although I may have counted this team totally out in the past, in a season where teams may not be as good as they appear, I hope they can steal a few more games and have a decent record.

13. Guillbeau (0-3): Guilbeau has had a tough schedule playing both Smith and Morin. This weekend they had a pretty ugly loss to team Hillier. Their Big three have not quite panned out like Guilbeau imagined. Sam Lis needs to stay out of foul trouble and Bongi needs to hit more threes and just score more overall. Tmac has played his classic drive and throw the ball up game, which has worked. The rest of the team needs to play around Tmac and work through him in order to get Lis and Bongi their shots. Bartlett also needs to continue to work hard in the boards and grind out points in the paint.

14. Philbrook (0-3): Things are not looking great for this team. Losing to team Khoury on Sunday left me no choice but to drop them to the bottom of the rankings. Without any real size I do not see this team winning anytime soon. Burke may bring some size when he comes back but it seems that even with him this team will be really soft down low. Any wins this team gets will come entirely from Firth and Jrod.