Rangers on the Rise

By James Coffey

IMG_7117It was a season of controversy, drama, injuries, and suspensions for the Westborough Rangers Boys Varsity 2015-16 Basketball Team. Amongst distraction after distraction, the team struggled. What seemed like hard work every day during practice wasn’t translating on the court for the games, and the 13 games in the “L” column, piled up much quicker than the 6 games in the “W” column.

As a member of this team, it was tough mentally and physically at times to stumble through the year. You can say what you want about this team, but never question our effort, and certainly never say it was a lost season. Even while losing four seniors, this team is on the rise and will be a force in Mid Wach B next season. Many younger players gained valuable game experience this season, and should be prepared from the get go next year. After officially being eliminated from tournament contention, we were able to play the role of spoiling other team’s hopes for the playoffs, along with experimenting with different groups of five players to see what could work well next season.

This year’s freshman class is considered to be one of the best grades in a long time. That showed, when five freshman saw varsity game time this year, including Mike Doherty, Matt Doherty, and Jake Hughes, who all started at one point this season. Dominic Casparriello, and Jack Lentine gained some experience at the end of the season, and look to make a serious impact next year as sophomores.

Thomas VonDerVellen was the only sophomore on the team this season, and played extremely well. His athleticism allows him to defend a guard, wing player or big man, giving the team increased versatility heading into next season. VonDerVellen’s shot vastly improved this year, and he may become one of the most complete players on the team by next season.

While I’ll be the only returning everyday starter, other juniors, such as Vinny Rosa, played extended minutes this year, and look to be senior leaders next season. Rosa started at the beginning of the season, but played his best basketball at the end of the year as one of the first substitutes of the bench. If he continues with that momentum and works hard this summer, Rosa should aim to be one of the best big men in the league next year.

The Rangers basketball program has hit a low point the last few years, and with the class of 2019 rising up travel basketball, the talk was for the bright future of the program. Now that the class of 2019 has their freshman season under their belts, the future that was talked about is now for the Rangers. Next season will most likely be an underclassmen-heavy team, that is small, and looks to push the tempo. Senior leadership combined with the energy of the underclassmen will create a lot of buzz around town and Central Mass next year, as the Rangers vie to be crowned Mid Wach B champions again. If you’re a fan, don’t be surprised to come down with serious Ranger Fever next February, as you cheer on the Rangers Boys Basketball team at the WPI districts.

View Comments (1)