Star Wars: The Force Awakens Review

2015-12-16-1450300622-8118374-Star_Wars

By Grace Sung

For all you Star Wars fans out there: episode VII is a must see! An intense, fast-paced plot is blended with a stupendous cast, complete with throwback actors/actresses such as Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher coming back as Han Solo and Leia. Viewers will be on the edge of their seat during this action-packed film and definitely will not be disappointed.   

The plot is centered around a newly introduced young female character, Rey (played by the gorgeous Daisy Ridley), who is a scavenger on the desert planet of Jakku. She becomes entangled with the galaxy’s struggle to locate the whereabouts of Luke Skywalker (played by Mark Hamill), the last Jedi knight when she befriends a very important droid. The plot develops quickly with a lot of action and includes many great fight scenes; there is not a boring moment in the movie!

Daisy Ridley, an actress that is quickly finding huge fame, executed the role of Rey perfectly in the film. Rey is very witty and quick on her feet, able to fix anything as well as being a great pilot. She is a scavenger and is therefore dressed very plainly, and she doesn’t have any intricate hairstyles like Leia and Padme. The Force Awakens contrasts greatly to the other episodes in the way that more female actresses are used and the primary ones aren’t sexualized too heavily. This aspect adds to the greatness of this film. Rey is quirky and has a young and innocent sense about her as she discovers more about her past and future throughout the film, and not to mention an adorable British accent that’s enjoyable to listen to.

Star Wars fans will be delighted to see older versions of General Leia and Han Solo on the screen in addition to the new faces. The blend of familiar and new faces creates a very enjoyable atmosphere for returning fans, prompting nostalgic feelings for the older movies and still keeping things fresh and exciting in the new episode. Bringing R2D2 back to life succeeds to warm the hearts of Star Wars fans as well.

As a 16 year old girl, I particularly enjoyed the new dynamic of the female characters in the plot that the film brings to life. The women of the film are given greater positions; for example, it was great to watch General Leia lead the Alliance and Rey display her tinkering skills, which was not usually a quality given to a female character. The film is definitely refreshing for anybody that supports equal rights for women. The tech team did a spectacular job in graphics of the entire movie, particularly the fight and battle scenes. It was evident that effort was put into the editing of the action.

So don’t miss your favorite Star Wars characters fight the First Order- watch Episode Seven: the Force Awakens!