Girls Basketball Prepares for Season Ahead

By Carly Flahive

Captain Julie Hutchinson driving to the hoop.
Courtesy: Kelly Burneson

With winter sports starting up here at Westborough High, the Rangers girls basketball program begins to prepare for the season ahead of them. After winning just four games last year, the Rangers are hopeful for what they have ahead of them.

Having had no seniors on the team last year, the team returns for another season adding junior Kaleigh Wright and sophomore Emily Hannan to their roster. Julie Hutchinson (senior) is back as a second year captain to lead the team alongside assistants Erica Sudol (senior) and Nicole Foster (junior).

With the ten returning players, the team is excited to see what they can do this season. “I’m looking forward to continue playing with everyone who came back” mentions Foster. Having had last season together, Hutchinson says, “We all know each others strengths and weaknesses so we go into the season knowing how we have to play.” The ability to continue building on last years talent may be just what the Rangers need this year to go far.

Striving to have a winning record this year, the Rangers will need to play with their heads. With no real height on the team, they need to move the ball quickly and not let height be a disadvantage to their record. “We need to focus on finding a way to use our small size to our advantage,” says Hutchinson. Foster adds, “The shots we take are going to be crucial because we don’t have a lot of height so rebounding can be tough.” Although they need to be smart with their games, they are ready to go.

Foster is hopeful for what is to come of the team this year considering they are all older and more experienced than last year. Although their league schedule is tough, the team continues to prepare for the season ahead of them. With a few scrimmages prior to the opening game, the Rangers continue to work hard at practices preparing to get the results they want come game day.

As captains, Hutchinson, Sudol, and Foster are looking forward to a fun season. Encouragement and support for their teammates is what they believe will help make them successful this year.

Good luck to the Rangers as they open December 16 at Nashoba.