Nike Mercurial Superfly 4 Review

By Isaias Hastenreiter

Source: Unisportstore.com

With the launch of Nike Mercurial Superfly 4, the technological advancement of cleats has taken a step into a “second skin” based world of soccer. Nike’s new addition to the Superflys series has brought the player a lightweight, flexible and most of all, molding to the player’s own feet type of cleats which is very needed in the sport.

How It Looks

The new Superfly 4’s come in a variety of striking color. Five colorways have been released, so finding a pair that satisfies won’t be so hard. Probably the most interesting feature, however is the dynamic fit collar. With this new addition, the dynamic fit collar reaches up to the ankle, unlike previous Superfly’s. Now this is where it can be challenging for the player. There are only five colorways which all are very bold, but it will make it challenging for those whose uniforms don’t match. Nike made sure in this new release that they will definitely stand out. Probably the most innovative feature is Nike’s Flyknit. Not only is it found on the collar, but it also covers every aspect of the cleat except the sole. This is the biggest difference when comparing these cleats with the Superfly 3’s. With this new addition it gives the cleats more texture and eases the control of the ball. Overall, the Superfly 4’s probably the boldest looking pair of soccer cleats that’s out there, but with that comes the challenge of matching that with a uniform.

How it Feels

Wearing the Superfly 4’s at first feels awkward. It’s probably because of the hard-stitched cleats that most players are used to wearing. Although Nike incorporated its Flyknit technology to shape to the player’s unique shape, it still takes a good amount of time to break them in. About eight hours is the usual amount of time that it takes to for the player to break in these cleats. But after the break in process is done, this is where the Superfly’s 4 really shine. The cleats quickly adapt to shape of the player’s feet. It becomes almost a “second skin” to the player’s foot. The lightweight feel is something that cannot be missed. Being about 200 grams lighter than the previous addition, the Superfly’s 4 show how good a pair of cleats can be without being hard stich based. Having a carbon fiber sole and Flyknit throughout the cleat, the player can truly feel the quickness and sharpness that the cleat brings. The carbon fiber acts like a sturdy lightweight barrier that doesn’t give blisters to the player’s feet. Overall, the feel of these cleats are soft and toning to the fleet, allowing agility and great support for acceleration.

Is it worth it?

The retail price for Nike Mercurial Superfly 4 is $300. Yes, it does seem like a hefty price for a pair of cleats, but it surely does fulfill the promises that it brings. It’s worth mentioning that the Superfly 4’s is preferably more suited for those who are serious in soccer or who are on the varsity team. Although not being made from hard stitching, the cleats can rip especially in the insides of the cleats. They can usually rip in the first three months of regular use. This may seem unacceptable since the price is unusually high compared to other cleats in the market. But overall, the Nike Mercurial Superfly 4 is a superb pair of cleats.