Boys’ Basketball Optimistic despite Lack of Experience

Steve Aronson
Connor Fitzgerald, center, talks with Coach Willar Photo Credit: Steve Aronson

By Zach Chason

Connor Fitzgerald, center, talks with Coach Willar
Photo Credit: Steve Aronson

After finishing last season with wins in 12 of their last 16 games, the Westborough Ranger Boys’ Basketball team looks to carry that magic into this year. The Rangers look to hold on to their Mid-Wach B League championship title for the third straight year.

Despite graduating 8 seniors from the previous season, Westborough expects to be strong again this year. With only 5 returning players, what this team lacks in experience, they make up for in skill and tenacity. The team will be lead by returning seniors Mike Heffernan, Brendan Shunney, Zach Chason, Jack Pierce, and 3-year varsity veteran Connor Fitzgerald. Also, junior Colin “Donny” Donovan is returning after an impressive sophomore season for the Rangers as well as a number of other talented underclassmen who hope to make the squad.

After a great run that brought the Rangers to an undefeated league record and a game in the district semi-finals, the Rangers have big expectations. Senior Connor Fitzgerald says about the upcoming season, “I’m very optimistic. It’s going to be very interesting with a lot of new guys having a chance to make the team. Bottom line, this year is going to be a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to winning a third league title in a row and having a chance to play at Clark and WPI again. With a great core of guards and versatile big men, I know this is very possible.” For this young team, optimism is going to be key.

This year’s Ranger team is one of the smallest in years, however, it is also one of the most athletic. How well the boys are able to play to their strengths will decide their outcome. The Rangers are expected to play tough and play fast. Fans should anticipate fast breaks and a lot of shots on the offensive end as well as toughness and physicality on the defensive end, especially with the guards. Westborough opens the season on December 9 at home against rival Algonquin.

With their recent success in the past couple seasons, the Rangers look to bring a winning attitude into this year. Despite many new faces on the team, Rangers Basketball seems poised for another successful and exciting season.