“Good for College”: An Idea Blown Out of Proportion

“Good for College: An Idea Blown Out of Proportion

by Anna Gimilaro

When an eighth grader enters her freshman year of high school, she is immediately bombarded with demands to join clubs, take honors classes, become a leader, play sports, pursue an art, earn good grades, and begin counting community service hours. As a sophomore, this student is expected to maintain a high GPA, apply to the National Honor Society, learn to drive, excel in extracurriculars, and perhaps find a job. By the time junior year rolls around, a “well-rounded student” should hold a leadership position in a club, play a varsity sport or belong to an elite musical ensemble, take AP classes, spend spare time studying SAT vocabulary, and even have a vague idea of a future career path. This all peaks with the college application process senior year. From the start, parents, teachers, and society drill these expectations into students’ minds, so they become fixated on the misconception that doing absolutely everything is the only way to get into a good college; this is naively equated to success in life. With this mindset, students overlook the real purposes of high school: basic education, valuable life skills, and self-discovery.

Now, I’m not saying I’m above all this. In fact, I consider myself a victim of this overachiever epidemic that’s polluting our generation. Like the majority of current high schoolers, I’m caught up in the race of getting into a distinguished school. Constantly worrying that my achievements are subpar in terms of impressing a college seems absurd: I do well in school, participate in a fair number of extracurriculars, and have a job.  Yet somehow, I can’t accept that this is sufficient. I compare myself to my friends in everything school related. When they take an honors course that I don’t or volunteer more often than I do, I’m left trying to convince myself of other ways that I’m ahead of them in the college race. I know it shouldn’t be that way. I know it’s not about being ahead, and I know all these petty details don’t matter in the long run, but this idea has been ingrained in my mind for so long that it’s hard to think otherwise.

This becomes most dangerous when students put aside their true passions to do other activities for the sole purpose of resume-building. Although extreme in nature, this disguise of pseudo-enjoyment is sadly worn all too often. Several of my summer camp friends announced that they’re not returning to camp as counselors this summer because “an internship looks much better for college”. I ask a classmate why she’s taking AP statistics and honors calculus if she hates math just to hear that it will boost her GPA which she “needs for college”. I question why my friend is on student council when he complains before every meeting, but I already know the answer: it sounds really good to colleges.

These responses really bother me. Why not spend time doing something of actual interest? In the big scheme of life, the most meaning will be extracted from the things you’re truly invested in and develop an emotional connection to. People go wrong when they fill their schedules with arbitrary, fancy-titled activities just to impress a group of college admission officers. It’s not always the most prestigious activities that teach the most resonating lessons or lead to the most profound epiphanies, so there’s no reason to obsess over them.

This system of rigorous ideals may succeed in generating an abundance of factory-made students with near-perfect GPAs and impressive resumes, but it doesn’t assure prosperity in everything they do; in fact, it creates a lack of independent thinkers–those who will eventually form the backbones of society. The same goes for the other side of the spectrum. Let’s fast forward a few years. Say you don’t end up at a top-notch college: contrary to common fears, it’s extremely unlikely that this will result in lifelong failure or poverty. It’s possible to earn an outstanding education at a state school the same way that an Ivy League doesn’t always ensure perfect professors and courses; the school itself isn’t as important as people make it out to be.

A societal shift from emphasizing high school as a time for resume building to a time for character building is imperative. If the pressure to excel in everything is assuaged, students will find themselves with more time to explore their interests, think independently, and eventually recognize their spot in the world. Rather than spending four years of life obsessing over every little detail that could slightly enhance a college application, a focus on what you actually enjoy will have much more influential long term benefits. Today’s generation of high schoolers has the wrong attitude; this “good for college” hype needs to revolutionize.