Veteran-Heavy Golf Team Ready to Compete

By Jeff Arnold

Senior Gavin Wilsker tees off at last year’s match against Algonquin

After a disappointing end to last season, Boys’ golf looks to make another post season appearance behind a strong veteran line up. The last two seasons have been impressive for the golf team as they have captured league titles; however, disappointing play at the District Championship has kept the team from State Title appearances. Only one full time varsity player played on both these teams, junior Jeff Arnold, but they still have plenty of experience with returning starters in senior co-captains Jack Pierce and Sam Lehman and the team’s current no. 2 player, Gavin Wilsker. Brendan Shunney and Jimmy Fotos round out the upperclassmen on the team as they will play pivotal roles in the middle of the lineup. Different from past teams, this year’s squad has a lot of tournament golf under their belt with Lehman, Wilsker, and Arnold competing in tournaments over the summer. All three look to those tournaments as learning experiences that will help once the League and District championships roll around.

Following in his older brother’s footsteps, freshman Jon Rodenbush, is looking to play his way up the lineup as the season progresses. Despite showing some signs of inexperience, Rodenbush has raw talent that will aid in making him a key varsity player as his career progresses. Sophomore Ben Hopkinson also has his sights set on playing for the varsity team and will battle for a spot with Rodenbush and freshman Kevin Gee.

About the team this year Pierce said, “I really like who we have this year and I think we have a real shot at going pretty far. I know I’m confident in the lineup and hopefully we can make a run at a a State Championship.”

The team’s first match will be held at Westboro Country Club on Tuesday, September 2, at 3:15.