Student Council October Update

Under the Lights week was a huge success last week as high school fans cheered our Field Hockey, Boys’ and Girls’ Soccer, and Football teams on during this special week of night time games. To support each team, students came to school dressed up in that team’s theme. There was a blackout Monday for Girls’ Field Hockey, Sports Jersey Day for Girls’ Soccer, In-School Trick-or-Treat on Wednesday, High Socks Day for Boys’ Soccer on Thursday, and Ranger Day for Football on Friday. Spirit Week Chair Emily Williams says, “Students seemed really excited and got into the spirit. They seemed to like the ‘Under the Lights’ event so much that they dressed up.”

I went to Student Council’s concession stand on Thursday night and found a bounty of food: Ramen noodles, hot chocolate, coffee, chips, candy, hot dogs, popcorn, and Gatorade of every color of the rainbow were available for purchase at the games. Freshman Frank Chang commented, “The food is very good.” Fans enjoyed the food as well and when I worked at the concession stand at Friday night’s game, I found that there was a constant demand of the hot chocolate station where I was working due to the nippy weather.

In other news, Student Council events are underway. Student, Teacher, and Custodial appreciation events have been happening; Community Service Leaf Raking started on October 30th and will happen again on the 6thof November with council members raking leaves for the sick and elderly; and the CDMASC (Central District of Massachusetts Association of Student Councils) conference is just around the corner. This afternoon conference will take place at Grafton High School and features workshops with a Wizard of Oz theme: brain, heart and courage. Westborough’s Student Council will be sending delegates to this event who can bring new techniques back to improve council and future events.

At the last Regional Student Advisory Council meeting, delegates discussed  our goals for the year and new legislation regarding education. Massachusetts won some “Race to the Top” funding which entitles the state to $250 million dollars over four years for education. We also discussed “By Students for Students,” a program against high school  dropout rates. Both programs seem like great things for our schools.