Teen Mental Health Initiative Club

Sydney Allen '23, Contributing Writer

Teen Mental Health Initiative club is a student-led organization that is dedicated to advocating for the physical and mental well-being of students at WHS. 

The club meets every other Thursday at 2:45. They are actively involved with many different organizations in the school such as NHS (National Honors Society), Student Council, and SEL (Social Emotional Learning) leaders. 

Most importantly they collaborate with students and staff to make WHS a safe space for those struggling with mental health. Whether hosting school wide events, sending out surveys, or simply placing affirmations around the school, TMHI is working towards removing the stigmas in society regarding mental health. 

The president of the club Carli Romano says “as of right now, TMHI is working on a few projects but the main project is getting some type of study period for students at WHS. WHS is a very academically rigorous school and many students find themselves under a lot of stress and pressure due to the workload. Our goal is to ease some of that stress and work with teachers and administrators to provide students with that support.” 

If you have a concern that you would like to be addressed don’t hesitate to go to TMHI. To make advancements, they start with the students, finding what is harming mental health at the school. Then they meet with their advisors or teachers who then help talk to the administration to start working and planning goals. 

Romano said, “personally as someone who has struggled a lot with their mental health and has gone through alot, being in this leadership position has given me the opportunity to help be the voice for students. I’m so grateful that I am able to work with my peers and students to make a change and difference at this school.”

If you’re looking to get involved at WHS and make a difference in the local community, join TMHI.

Instagram: @teenmentalhealthinitiative