Co-Op Girl’s Hockey Team Sweeps The Floor at State Championship Game

On March 19, 2023, the Shrewsbury girl’s hockey team (Co-Op with Westborough players) played at TD Garden at the MIAA Division 1 state championship. The team was ranked number three in their league before the game against Saint Mary’s of Lynn who was the number one seed. The game ended with a score of (4-1) with goals made by Madeline Mrva (‘23), Taylor Ryder (‘23), Paige Umile (‘24), and Yasmine McKenzie (‘25). 

The Lady Colonials, a group of 24 players, are coached by Head Coach Frank Panarelli and Assistant Coach Joe Joubert. Among those players were WHS students Sadie Cusson (‘24), Kealy Fay (‘24), Blaire Fay (‘25), Samantha Kelley (‘26), Emma Mania (‘26), and Brianna Sawicki (‘26).

The game started out with a 1-0 lead by Shrewsbury, and stayed that way as they entered the third quarter of the game. In the span of the third quarter, the remaining three goals were scored.

When asked about her experience, Shrewsbury High School sophomore and player Mia Ryder states, “I think for all of us growing up watching the Bruins and just being able to be there and touch that ice was ecstatic… it was just unreal to have everyone there and support not only your good moments but your mistakes.”

The road to this victory didn’t come easy as every player practiced and worked hard to prepare for each game. Their 3-2 triumph in the Elite Eight game came after an enthralling double-overtime win over Hingham High School. The Colonials also won their Final Four game 4-3 against Notre Dame of Hingham. 

The win was a product of hard work by every player on the team… I think our girls were very well conditioned, very well prepared, and were confident in each other,” Coach Panarelli says. 

The team was deemed the underdogs going into the game seeded third, but they used that to their advantage. During “work days,” the team would dedicate ¾ of their practice time to skating which the players feel paid off in the end. In the week leading up to the finals, the team found out who they would be playing and began reviewing previous games of their opponent and dissecting their strategies. Their efforts paid off, and Lady Colonials made history as this was the first championship win for the girls’ hockey program.

Sophomore, Yasmine McKenzie comments, “This team has such a strong bond and I credit our championship win to that. I have made so many lifelong best friends and in doing so, playing with them only became easier.”

Having ended this season on a high note, the Lady Colonials hope to carry on this winning tradition in the future.