Girls Lacrosse Eager For a Successful Season With New Coaching Staff

Lily Vaughan '23, Co-Editor

Spring sports are in action, and one that you should be excited to watch this season is the girl’s lacrosse team. With a new head coach, Whitney McKay, and assistant coach Becky Tynan,  the girls are excited about a fresh start and are anticipating a strong season.

Returning to the team as a senior, Steph Hogan shares, “I feel confident going into the season this year, we have had a couple of good weeks of preseason training, and the new coaching staff has set high expectations which have been pushing us to be better, so I am excited to see where the season takes us.”

This is the first time the lacrosse program has had formalized preseason training in quite some time, and the team believes this will set them up for success this season. 

Head Coach McKay states, “Preseason seems to have gone well! From the beginning, the returning players seemed to be really excited about being more involved and active when it comes to lacrosse. As a new coach coming in, preseason acted as a nice transition for some of the players to meet me and I meet them.”

Junior Lily Vilaflor, who committed to play lacrosse at Xavier University this past fall, is thrilled about this spring, coming off productive preseason training. 

“It has been so great being able to get in the weight room and have organized preseason practices,” Vilaflor shares.

Both Coach McKay and Coach Tynan work at Gibbons Middle School as English teachers Previously, both Coach McKay and Coach Tynan coached lacrosse at Bellingham High School. They made the choice to coach at WHS, with the hope of “seeing the program numbers grow and bringing a new culture to the program, and setting a tone for the future.” 

Coach McKay shares about her goals for the season. “I don’t predominantly set goals for a specific number of games won, or to make it to a certain level of playoffs or state tournament, although I do want that for our team, but at the end of the day my main goal is to further develop a program of players that want to show up and work hard for each other.”

After tryouts, the girls are eager for their season to begin. Their first game is away on Friday, March 31 against Nashoba.