English Teacher Mr. Huse: The Soul of B203

Mr. Matthew Huse started his first year of teaching in Westborough High School 21 years ago. Since then, the second floor B wing has been his second home.

While Mr. Huse was born in Weymouth, Massachusetts, he grew up in Cheshire, Connecticut and moved back to Massachusetts after college. It is hard to imagine Mr. Huse as anything but a beloved English teacher; however, when he was younger he had ambitious dreams to be an award-winning author and a rock star. Mr. Huse’s creativity never ran out.

When asked about what he would have thought of his current career when he was in high school, he mentioned a teacher who really stood out to him–Mr. Kaplan, a former WHS English teacher.

“Fifteen year old me would have wanted to know, is he at all like Mr. Kaplan as a teacher?” Mr. Huse continued saying he has even taken some direct quotes from Kaplan; an example being “Failure is good for the soul.”

Most people know Mr. Huse as a literature enthusiast, but he has quite a few hidden hobbies and talents. Travel is his favorite pastime. One of his travel goals is to go to all 50 states by the time he’s 50. The most beautiful place he’s been to is Granada Spain; he and his wife rented a car and drove along the southern coast of Spain.

He also shared one of the best days of his life was when he and his wife were in a small Canadian town, Watrous in Saskatchewan. They spent the night floating in a salt lake while watching a live music festival.

Another one of Mr. Huse’s interesting hobbies is gardening. He is the one-stop shop in his neighborhood for fresh produce. One of the few vegetables he doesn’t grow is pumpkins; however, he is quite the gourd-carving enthusiast.

He and his wife enjoy competing to see who has the better pumpkin carving skills. His vegetable art doesn’t end there. Huse also makes human-like sculptures out of the vegetables from his garden.

When Mr. Huse was called “multi-talented” he humbly replied, “I didn’t say I was good at it.”

As an English teacher, Huse has received thousands of personal narratives and other personal writing pieces from his students. Often times, because of this, his students will trust him with a lot of information about their lives.

One time there was a student who was pregnant and shared this information with Mr. Huse even before telling her own parents. Mr. Huse took this information to a trusted faculty member and they both helped the student with this life altering situation. This was a huge display of trust and honesty, and further shows the incredible bonds he fosters with his students.

When we asked Huse if he had any last things he wanted to say, he stated “We are very blessed as an English department to have young teachers, like your journalism teacher Ms. Junker, on the faculty here. So yeah, I would like to add and close with a little bit of sucking up to other teachers in the department!”