Dance Moms Star, Abby Lee Miller, Visits Westborough

Meredith Swanson '24 and Abbie Northrup '24, Contributing Writers

On August 29, 2022, Westborough High School students opened Instagram and were ecstatic to learn that reality TV star, Abby Lee Miller, was going to visit Westborough. Miller, 56, is the star of Lifetime Televisions’ hit show Dance Moms. Miller is a beyond talented choreographer and owner of Abby Lee Dance Company, and owns studios in Los Angeles and Pittsburgh.

Dance Moms follows the lives of young competitive dancers and their over dramatic mothers who live vicariously through their children’s achievements. Miller, the dance teacher, is known for her sharp, sarcastic, and sometimes cruel attitude towards her students. This has led to her being a living joke and the target of many online jokes. This being said, teenagers from all over the state were very excited to see that she would be in Westborough and flocked to Boston Rhythmic Dance Studio to meet the living legend.

During her visit to Westborough, Boston Rhythmic not only offered Massachusetts the chance to meet Miller, but also allowed some to participate in dance classes with her. There was even an opportunity to audition for the next season of Dance Moms. Miller led a two-day workshop in which dancers were able to work on specific skills with her, and learn how to get into show business. She judged dancers’ personal routines, while also teaching them new choreography.

For people who didn’t choose to participate in the workshop, there was a separate Q&A where they were able to meet Miller, take pictures with her, and ask her questions about her controversial career. Westborough High School sophomore and competitive dancer, Morgan Boudreaux, was lucky enough to snag a ticket to this once in a lifetime opportunity.Boudreaux found out about Miller’s Q&A through Instagram.

“I chose to meet her more as a bucket list thing because that is a special opportunity and it’s not common to meet celebrities where we live,” Boudreaux commented.

When asked if they were inspired by Miller, Boudreaux chimed in saying “Career wise yes, I think she is an amazing choreographer and studio owner. Personality wise, no.”

They later added “I didn’t talk directly to her much but I honestly didn’t enjoy her that much. She was pretty sharp and rude even though she didn’t know any of us.”

Boudreaux has been a fan of the show since the fifth grade, and their favorite dance by Miller is “The Atlantic.”

The experience cost $35, and despite Miller’s attitude towards her fans, Boudreaux chimed in and said “I think it was worth it! It was definitely a memorable experience and it is a cool bucket list thing to meet someone famous in real life.”

Boudreaux is not the only one who has noticed Miller’s rude demeanor. In Dance Moms, Miller is known for her harsh approach to teaching her dancers. She treats them as if they are adults, even though her oldest dancers are only 15. She ranks their performances from best to worst on the infamous pyramid each week, harshly criticizing the girls on the bottom while praising the girl on top. She is also known to choose favorites.

The show even earned its name Dance Moms, for Miller’s well known fights with the girls’ mothers (usually over the way she treats their daughters). in 2017, Miller even spent a year in jail for felony bankruptcy fraud. That being said, Miller has provided many famous young dancers with an entrance to show business. She’s taught legends such as JoJo Siwa, Maddie Ziegler, and Nia Sioux. Though controversial, Miller’s approach to teaching dance is seemingly effective.

Although she is not always thought of fondly, Miller has made an impact on young dancers all over the world. Her visit to Westborough was an opportunity for many, providing local fans the chance to meet their idol.