Kylie Parsons ’22: Senior Testimonial

Kylie Parsons '22, Contributing Writer

After spending 18 years in the same town, the same house, and growing up with the same group of kids, it’s time to split ways. It hasn’t sunk in that next week will be my last at WHS, and quite honestly I don’t think it will until I move onto college. I am grateful for my time in the Westborough Public School System, and I believe it has taught me nearly everything I know today.

One of the biggest lessons I have learned throughout high school is to live in the present. Don’t dwell on the past on things no longer in your control, and don’t stress about the future. As Ferris Bueller says, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” The first day I came to WHS my only thought was about graduating, and now that it’s near that time, the only thing I can think of is going back to that first day.

I also learned that life changes in an instant. Had someone told me a few years ago that I would do almost half of my high school education online, I wouldn’t believe them. I applaud everyone for their strength throughout this pandemic, and how both the teachers and students adapted to the new model so quickly.

Another valuable lesson I’ve learned is about balance in all aspects of my life. Balancing school, sports, work, etc. It’s crucial to not take on too much because if you do, then you’ll get burnt out too fast. One of the biggest things I’ve learned in my college search is that AP classes truly don’t matter. I tried taking too many AP classes this year and ended up dropping one of them because it was too much. It is more important to explore subjects you’re interested in, then fill your schedule based on what you think colleges would like to see. If you take on too much, you may stress yourself out, and miss out on the glories of senior year.

I started journalism my sophomore year of high school because I was interested in the subject, and my friends had recommended the class. Though I have always been passionate about pursuing a career in business, taking journalism has opened my eyes to finding passions in different fields. With that being said, I would somehow like to incorporate journalism into my future studies, perhaps with a minor degree.

The thing I will miss most about high school is sports. They’ve definitely taught me a lot. I played high school ice hockey with Shrewsbury for three years but opted out of playing my senior year. I still, however, continued to play club ice hockey throughout my four years of high school. As for lacrosse, I’ve played for three seasons at WHS (my sophomore year was canceled because of COVID-19) and I have enjoyed every second of it. I’ve always had a passion for the sport, but one of the main reasons I play is because of the team. The girls are so supportive of one another, and I take after most of them. Senior day is this Thursday, May 19, and I am sad that this will be my last game at WHS. Sports have been a huge part of my life since I was in second grade, and they have taught me a lot about cooperation, leadership, and perseverance. The lessons I have learned through playing these sports have shaped me into the person I am today.

The last thing I wanted to mention is college applications. Explore as many colleges as possible and don’t rule any school out until you 100% don’t see yourself going there. I will be attending the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in the fall to pursue finance at the Isenberg School of Management, and to be honest, it wasn’t originally on my list of colleges. I never thought of attending UMass because it’s a massive school, and it’s in Western Massachusetts. However, I randomly decided to tour the campus, and it felt like home.

Sophomores and Juniors, I advise touring as many schools as possible, and researching the schools to see if you could see yourself there. Juniors, my biggest piece of advice is to write your college essay over the summer going into your senior year. It will help you immensely, and you will be able to edit it over several months. Additionally, you will have more time to fill out your Common App in the fall. Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors get involved in as much as you can in WHS. You never know what you will find a passion in.

Thank you to my parents for always believing in me and teaching me valuable life lessons. Amanda and Chase, thank you for pushing me to be the best version of myself. Finally, WHS, thank you for preparing me for my next steps and allowing me to make countless memories.