Freshmen: How to Get Involved at WHS

“High school is the best and worst time of your life. Don’t take it seriously because no one will remember it the way you do,” WHS sophomore Lola Hudnall advises.

Freshman year alone is a major adjustment. With the additional stress of a pandemic, it only makes the transition more difficult.

Hudnall’s freshman year experience was during Covid-19. She shares that adapting to a new learning environment at home was a definite challenge. However, she also recognizes the benefit taken away from her experiences.

Once returning back into school, Hudnall discovered a love for team sports such as field hockey. After dropping dance from her extracurricular she was able to have more time to try new clubs and sports at school. Ultimately this led to a positive impact on her mental health.

Kate Capello, a junior at WHS is currently in her third season of volleyball, taking great pride as a member of the program.

“It is really nice to make connections with upperclassmen and underclassmen, and also you get a lot of different experiences. If you do a fall sport, since tryouts are over the summer you can meet all those people before school starts,” Capello shares.

Volleyball has been a main focus for Capello since freshman year, and she suggests that others should find an activity that interests them as well. Capello explains that finding something that is a true passion, will help benefit your future self.

Similar to Capello, senior Matthew Willar agrees that many connections can be formed through extracurricular activities. Beginning in freshman year, Willar joined Student Council, and now as a senior is a member of the executive board.

Willar comments, “Especially freshman year I got to make a lot of friends in the upper class.”

When asked what word would best describe his high school experience Willar shares that courage takes a big part in shaping who he has become.

As Willar says, “Take risks because they pay off.”

Another source in which students can view to learn more about club opportunities at WHS is Clubpedia. This website was created by senior Molly Northrup whose goal was to make it easier for students to discover and learn about a variety of clubs offered. Their hope is that students will connect with one another over a similar interest.

Northrup shares, “In high school, it’s easy to feel lonely or stuck in friendships that aren’t healthy for you. Club involvement fosters meaningful and long lasting friendships, and allows you to feel valued since you’re a part of something bigger than yourself.”

In high school, it’s easy to feel lonely or stuck in friendships that aren’t healthy for you. Club involvement fosters meaningful and long lasting friendships, and allows you to feel valued since you’re a part of something bigger than yourself.

— Molly Northrup '22

For more information on clubs, check out: https://sites.google.com/student.westboroughk12.org/whs-clubpedia/home