Iweka Iweka’s Senior Testimonial: A Great Ride…

Iweka Iweka '21, Contributing Writer

When looking back at my time in Westborough High School, all I can say was it was one helluva ride to say the very least. These past four years have really shaped me to not just become a better person, but a better man.

Freshman year was a way better experience than I expected. I was really nervous going into that year especially with the things I heard about high school. I knew that these next coming years would be very different. The night before high school I was a mess, I was overthinking everything and I barely slept that night waking up to the start of another journey…

My freshman year was surprisingly one of my favorite years with the upperclassmen being very helpful and I had very good relationships with most of them from sports. It was a blessing to have them on my side. I also made great friends that year who really helped me get through the year in a very positive way.

Throughout my years of high school sports was a huge part of my whole experience. I was lucky enough to be able to play both soccer and basketball all 4 years in high school, and I couldn’t thank my coaches enough for all that they did for me. To start off, Coach Hiller was a coach who really challenged me to work harder and to be a better player. We had a great relationship and I knew that everyvtime he critiqued me or made a decision that I may not have liked, he was fueling me to become a better player so that when it was time I was able to be a captain my senior year and lead a great varsity soccer team.

Then last but not least Coach Willer. Coach knows how much I respect him and how much he has done for me will never be forgotten. When in camps before entering high school, he always gave us great speeches about us becoming men and how we need to always stay true to ourselves. I feel like I will always carry that with me wherever I go. I had the pleasure of having Coach Willer for basketball and for one year of soccer where we went undefeated. Safe to say no matter where he is, he can create a winning atmosphere. Coach helped pave the way for me to become a way better basketball player and also become a way better man.

Sports to me was my rock of high school. Most of my time was spent on the field or in the court and I always had the support of my family, friends, and teachers who always made getting up worth it even if I was in a bad mood. Knowing that you have fans and people rooting for you is a feeling that you can never forget. I thank the teachers who would always ask me about my games because I could tell they wanted to see me succeed.

And finally to my family whose support for everything I have done has helped me go through these 4 years of high school with ease. My family from my dad, mom, brother, and sister were always supportive of me and were always there to help me out. Especially my mom who is my biggest fan. I know she always was the hardest on me, because I knew that she saw a lot in me and that always meant a lot to me. The work she puts in every day has never gone unnoticed by me, and she is everything to me from always being there for me at my best and always being there for me at my worst. I would like to say a big thanks to her because she is the strongest person and most caring person I know.

To Westborough High, thanks for all the memories that were created during my 4 years here and thanks to my class for being great. To all the faculty and staff, it’s been a pleasure to be able to learn from you and for all the great times that I will never ever forget.

It’s been a pleasure- Iweka Iweka