Patriots Select Mac Jones with 15th overall pick

Sam Schiffman 21', Lead Sports Editor

For the past two decades, the NFL draft has not been too important for Patriots fans. Always having a late first-round pick due to their success in the prior season, the casual fan was pretty unconcerned with who the organization would get. In my lifetime the lowest pick the Patriots held was in 2008, in which they had the 10th overall pick and selected linebacker Jarod Mayo who became a staple for the Pats defense for years to come. But this year the organization held the 15th overall pick, in desperate need of a quarterback following the departure of Tom Brady, and a subpar season from former MVP Cam Newton. 

With the first three picks all being quarterbacks, in Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, and Trey Lance, as expected, the Patriots had to make a decision, trade up and grab Fields/Jones, or hope one of the two drops down to them. Picks four-ten rolled by and the two QBs who dueled in the NCAA National Championship were still on the board. 

At pick 11 the Giants got a call from the Chicago Bears which resulted in a trade. The Bears moved up knowing they were also in desperate need of a Quarterback, as the organization and fans did not want to see Andy Dalton under center in the following season. But now came the hard part, the Bears had to choose between a duel-threat QB in Justin Fields or a pocket passer and certified champion in Mac Jones from Alabama. Chicago elected to go with the former and select Ohio State Quarterback, Justin Fields with the 11th overall pick. 

Now three more teams remained between the Patriots and their assumed pick, Mac Jones. With the Cowboys, Chargers, and Minnesota picking next, it seemed as though the Pats would be able to get their guy at 15. The Cowboys selected Linebacker Micah Parsons, and the Chargers went with a stud offensive lineman in Rashawn Slater, to protect their Sophomore QB, Justin Herbert. Now only one pick was remaining before the Patriots would be on the clock. The Jets, via trade with Minnesota, selected an offensive lineman to protect their Second overall pick, Zach Wilson.

Now the Pats were on the clock and it seemed as though we would get our guy in Mac Jones. The former Alabama quarterback who led the team to a Championship prior to this year was regarded by some scouts as the best pocket passer in the draft, even drawing comparisons to now 7-time champion and the once pride of New England, Tom Brady. When the pick rolled in, NFL commissioner Rodger Goodell approached the stage and read out “With the 15th overall pick the New England Patriots select Mac Jones, quarterback from Alabama.”

As a die-hard Pats fan, I was relieved and excited. For my whole lifetime I had only known greatness in Tom Brady, but this past season showed that what comes up, must come down. By no means am I saying Mac Jones will be the next Brady, but he does have a similar style. I will also be the first to admit that out of the top-5 quarterbacks, Mac Jones was the one I wanted least. But with all other quarterbacks off the board, I am completely fine with selecting a National Champion in Jones. While he may need to develop a couple of years, and need some more weapons surrounding him, as he did at Alabama, it is still a great foundation for the organization moving forward. 

I couldn’t be happier with how the draft turned out and can’t wait for the Mac Jones era to begin in New England. Not to mention both Jones and Brady have the same number of letters in their first and last name, I don’t believe in coincidences, so I guess this just means that Jones is destined to be great.